Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Help with this rolled chord in Clair de Lune?

Help with this rolled chord in Clair de Lune?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
16 Posts 6 Posters 111 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • K
    K
    kluurs
    wrote last edited by
    #7

    I do the 54321 for the third chord. It's only an octave, but yes, I do find my self leaning to the right a bit to make it comfortable.

    1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    • J
      J
      jon-nyc
      wrote last edited by
      #8

      I’m not near my piano (in Miami for a conference) but will chime in in a few days. I play that last chord real slow. I like how the C hits before the A, breaking the ‘trebleward’ roll a bit.

      ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
      • J jon-nyc

        I’m not near my piano (in Miami for a conference) but will chime in in a few days. I play that last chord real slow. I like how the C hits before the A, breaking the ‘trebleward’ roll a bit.

        ShiroKuroS
        ShiroKuroS
        ShiroKuro
        wrote last edited by ShiroKuro
        #9

        thanks @kluurs and @jon-nyc !

        @jon-nyc said:

        I like how the C hits before the A

        me too!

        1 Reply Last reply
        • R
          R
          RealPlayer
          wrote last edited by
          #10

          5-4-3-2-1, but I have big paws. And a thumb that bends outward more than usual (don’t know what that’s called).

          1 Reply Last reply
          • ShiroKuroS
            ShiroKuroS
            ShiroKuro
            wrote last edited by
            #11

            I think I am going to leave out that Gb. If I do that, I can roll the chord in one motion.

            It seems almost blasphemous to drop a note when this whole is all about tone colors, but it’s one nanosecond across the whole piece, and trying to get those five notes in was making my wrist hurt. Four notes seems much more doable.

            We’ll see what my teacher thinks at tomorrow’s lesson.

            B 1 Reply Last reply
            • ShiroKuroS
              ShiroKuroS
              ShiroKuro
              wrote last edited by
              #12

              P.S. just in case: I realized in the OP photo you can’t see the clef, but the LH is in treble clef here.

              1 Reply Last reply
              • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                I think I am going to leave out that Gb. If I do that, I can roll the chord in one motion.

                It seems almost blasphemous to drop a note when this whole is all about tone colors, but it’s one nanosecond across the whole piece, and trying to get those five notes in was making my wrist hurt. Four notes seems much more doable.

                We’ll see what my teacher thinks at tomorrow’s lesson.

                B
                B
                Bernard
                wrote last edited by
                #13

                @ShiroKuro If it were me I'd leave out the Db in the left hand as it will be far less noticeable and a Db appears in the right hand as well so it won't be entirely missing from the chord. The Gb seems pretty important to the harmonic movement and it's the only Gb in the chord so it's elimination would make a big difference.

                The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                • B Bernard

                  @ShiroKuro If it were me I'd leave out the Db in the left hand as it will be far less noticeable and a Db appears in the right hand as well so it won't be entirely missing from the chord. The Gb seems pretty important to the harmonic movement and it's the only Gb in the chord so it's elimination would make a big difference.

                  ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuro
                  wrote last edited by
                  #14

                  @Bernard said:

                  If it were me I'd leave out the Db in the left hand as it will be far less noticeable and a Db appears in the right hand as well so it won't be entirely missing from the chord. The Gb seems pretty important to the harmonic movement and it's the only Gb in the chord so it's elimination would make a big difference.

                  Thanks so much for this suggestion!! I wasn't tracking that Db in the RH, but of course, there it is!

                  I played it w/o the Gb and thought it sounded fine, and it was sooo much easier to play, so I thought I'd go with that. But finger-wise, if I don't have to get 2 on that Db, doing 5-4-3 on Eb-Gb-Ab and then 1 on Eb ought to be relatively easy.

                  I will try this tonight when I practice.

                  Thank you!!!

                  B 1 Reply Last reply
                  👍
                  • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                    @Bernard said:

                    If it were me I'd leave out the Db in the left hand as it will be far less noticeable and a Db appears in the right hand as well so it won't be entirely missing from the chord. The Gb seems pretty important to the harmonic movement and it's the only Gb in the chord so it's elimination would make a big difference.

                    Thanks so much for this suggestion!! I wasn't tracking that Db in the RH, but of course, there it is!

                    I played it w/o the Gb and thought it sounded fine, and it was sooo much easier to play, so I thought I'd go with that. But finger-wise, if I don't have to get 2 on that Db, doing 5-4-3 on Eb-Gb-Ab and then 1 on Eb ought to be relatively easy.

                    I will try this tonight when I practice.

                    Thank you!!!

                    B
                    B
                    Bernard
                    wrote last edited by
                    #15

                    @ShiroKuro I barely notice it if the Db is dropped from the left hand. Think of it as changing the voicing (dropping the LH Db) versus changing the harmony (dropping the Gb).

                    The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                    ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                    👍
                    • B Bernard

                      @ShiroKuro I barely notice it if the Db is dropped from the left hand. Think of it as changing the voicing (dropping the LH Db) versus changing the harmony (dropping the Gb).

                      ShiroKuroS
                      ShiroKuroS
                      ShiroKuro
                      wrote last edited by
                      #16

                      @Bernard said:

                      I barely notice it if the Db is dropped from the left hand. Think of it as changing the voicing (dropping the LH Db) versus changing the harmony (dropping the Gb).

                      Yes, it makes total sense! I'm looking forward to trying it this evening. The big question is how it feels under my fingers. I will report back! 🙂

                      And thank you for this suggestion, now I won't look like an idiot in my lesson tomorrow for not having noticed this! 😄

                      1 Reply Last reply

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                      • Login

                      • Don't have an account? Register

                      • Login or register to search.
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Categories
                      • Recent
                      • Tags
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Groups