Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Greetings from Shipshewana, Indiana

Greetings from Shipshewana, Indiana

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
71 Posts 12 Posters 1.8k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • S
    S
    Steve Miller
    wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Visited the vintage stereo shop in W. Des Moines that was one of the reasons for the trip. We both follow their You tube channel.

    Bought the tee shirt.

    IMG-6624.jpg

    IMG-6626.jpg

    ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
    • S Steve Miller

      Visited the vintage stereo shop in W. Des Moines that was one of the reasons for the trip. We both follow their You tube channel.

      Bought the tee shirt.

      IMG-6624.jpg

      IMG-6626.jpg

      ShiroKuroS
      ShiroKuroS
      ShiroKuro
      wrote on last edited by
      #17

      @Steve-Miller 6hat looks like a cool shop!

      1 Reply Last reply
      • S
        S
        Steve Miller
        wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
        #18

        Visited the Ohio State Capital building, a spectacular Renaissance Revival deal with a gold leafed dome ca. 1880. Simply magnificent! When I come back I want to tour the interior.

        IMG-6633.jpg

        Currently staying at a dog training farm in Winterset, IA. It’s not beautiful but it’s quiet and the power works. Best of all it’s free!

        Got in early enough to do some cooking and knocked it out of the park! Jambalaya from a recipe that Ron got from a co worker who grew up in New Orleans. Among the best things I’ve ever made.

        IMG-6630.jpg

        1 Reply Last reply
        • S
          S
          Steve Miller
          wrote on last edited by
          #19

          A temporary fix for the freezer problem. It looks like hell but it works.

          IMG-6631.jpg

          1 Reply Last reply
          • RontunerR
            RontunerR
            Rontuner
            wrote on last edited by
            #20

            Batten down the hatches!!

            1 Reply Last reply
            • S
              S
              Steve Miller
              wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
              #21

              Larchwood, Iowa. A high-end town, no shortage of mansions. Parked at a 400 acre farm partly taken up by barns and airplane hangars.

              IMG-6650.jpg

              Zaggar air park, Jim Zaggar, proprietor. Inherited from his father whom he describes not a a collector but as someone who never sold anything. Jim followed in his footsteps and accumulated quite a bit himself.

              Each barn and hangar is stuffed with treasures. Cars, tractors, boats, farm machinery, models, toys and airplanes.

              Lots of airplanes.

              Biplanes, modern planes, ultra lights, experimental - all in airworthy condition. His dad converted part of the farm to an airstrip and transitioned to flying lessons in the late ‘40’s. Bought planes, kept planes. And Lincolns - many Lincolns. Built hangars and barns all over the place. It’s all still here and Jim wants to tell you about every one.

              Two things stand out. One is a 1963 Chrysler 300 pace car. Convertible. Original everything, showroom fresh. Ya’ll aren’t car people but believe me this car is a big deal and sitting in a barn in NW Iowa. He’s keeping it running so he can transport his daughter when she gets married. I didn’t get a picture.

              https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/31612/1963-chrysler-300-pace-setter-indy-500-pace-car

              Most surprising was this crazy boat. Kit boat, Popular Mechanics, mid 1960’s. I owned one of these in the early 70’s for a short period of time. Very short - it terrified me. Too fast, wouldn’t turn. I never dreamed I’d see another one.

              But here it is:

              IMG-6647.jpg

              Dinner was sardine hash, a particularly unphotogenic meal that tasted wonderful! Reddit recipe -basically corned beef hash made with sardines rather than corned beef. Eggs on top. I’ll make it again.

              Tomorrow is Rapid City, SD. Home of Mt. Rushmore and all sorts of stuff. Two nights there. Staying in a proper campground with hookups and a laundry -which we need.

              Averaging 9.6 MPG which isn’t bad, considering.

              1 Reply Last reply
              👍
              • J jon-nyc

                My mom used to go there with her lady friends when she lived in Ft Wayne.

                MikM
                MikM
                Mik
                wrote on last edited by
                #22

                @jon-nyc said:

                My mom used to go there with her lady friends when she lived in Ft Wayne.

                Your mom went to the world’s largest truckstop?

                Man, does that raise questions.

                “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
                ― Douglas Adams

                J 1 Reply Last reply
                😂
                • D
                  D
                  Daniel
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #23

                  Omg.

                  'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  • MikM Mik

                    @jon-nyc said:

                    My mom used to go there with her lady friends when she lived in Ft Wayne.

                    Your mom went to the world’s largest truckstop?

                    Man, does that raise questions.

                    J
                    J
                    jon-nyc
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #24

                    @Mik Shipshewanna. I think it’s about craft stores or antiquing or something blue haired old ladies do.

                    AdagioMA 1 Reply Last reply
                    • MikM
                      MikM
                      Mik
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #25

                      I knew that. It was just more fun to interpret it otherwise.

                      “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
                      ― Douglas Adams

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • J
                        J
                        jon-nyc
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #26

                        It’s always possible she and her blue haired friends had a secret life I was unaware of.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • S
                          S
                          Steve Miller
                          wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
                          #27

                          Visited the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD on the way to Rapid City. Built as an exhibition center in the late 19th century, it’s now used mostly as a basketball arena. The last one a number of crop palaces that were built all over the Midwest over the years.

                          IMG-6666.jpg

                          IMG-5655.jpg

                          Cool that the murals on the outside are constructed of corn and cornstalks. They change them every year.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • S
                            S
                            Steve Miller
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #28

                            Also stopped at Wall Drug - an icon of the Midwest. Billboards advertising it start showing up some 200 miles before you get there.

                            90,000 square feet of “stuff”.

                            IMG-6658.jpg

                            MikM 1 Reply Last reply
                            • R
                              R
                              RealPlayer
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #29

                              I remember the Corn Palace. It was impressive. Only in America kind of place.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • J jon-nyc

                                @Mik Shipshewanna. I think it’s about craft stores or antiquing or something blue haired old ladies do.

                                AdagioMA
                                AdagioMA
                                AdagioM
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #30

                                @jon-nyc Hey! My hair ain’t blue, but I love craft stores!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                😊
                                • D
                                  D
                                  Daniel
                                  wrote on last edited by Daniel
                                  #31

                                  I see so many women with blue, pink, and purple hair, and so many men and women with tattoos and piercings here now.

                                  You were told in no uncertain terms nobody would hire you if you got tattoos and piercings when I was graduating from HS.

                                  People didn't mention women putting blue, pink, and purple stripes in their hair. I don't think they could imagine it.

                                  You can get a city, county, state, or federal job with all of that and nobody thinks twice now.

                                  I never wanted a tattoo or a piercing.

                                  Men wore limited jewelry then. Sometimes a chain. Rarely a bracelet. A wedding band (although tradesmen let them at home to save themselves from losing a finger in a saw). And a watch.

                                  Sorry for the thread tangent.

                                  Back to the road trip!

                                  'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                  AdagioMA 1 Reply Last reply
                                  • D Daniel

                                    I see so many women with blue, pink, and purple hair, and so many men and women with tattoos and piercings here now.

                                    You were told in no uncertain terms nobody would hire you if you got tattoos and piercings when I was graduating from HS.

                                    People didn't mention women putting blue, pink, and purple stripes in their hair. I don't think they could imagine it.

                                    You can get a city, county, state, or federal job with all of that and nobody thinks twice now.

                                    I never wanted a tattoo or a piercing.

                                    Men wore limited jewelry then. Sometimes a chain. Rarely a bracelet. A wedding band (although tradesmen let them at home to save themselves from losing a finger in a saw). And a watch.

                                    Sorry for the thread tangent.

                                    Back to the road trip!

                                    AdagioMA
                                    AdagioMA
                                    AdagioM
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #32

                                    @Daniel that’s a very different kind of blue hair!

                                    I used to walk my baby around the living room, narrating things that we could “see” and I remember mentioning all the blue haired ladies. Women used to use bluing in their white hair to make it look whiter. That was a generation ago!

                                    My baby is 38 now…

                                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                                    • S
                                      S
                                      Steve Miller
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #33

                                      Greetings from Pukwana, SD! We’re staying at a working cattle ranch where the owner has added electric hookups to attract travelers like ourselves. It’s a very nice place, quiet, grass, friendly fellow travelers, but cell service is so weak I can’t post pictures.

                                      Last two nights were in Hermosa, SD, Rapid City adjacent. My. Rushmore. Nice commercial campground, laundry, full hookups. Took long showers and washed out a few dainties. Vacuumed the trailer and scrubbed the floors.

                                      Mt. Rushmore. Various people have told me it’s over hyped and not to bother. I’m here to tell you that those people are full of sh!t. It’s one of the most spectacular places I have ever visited! The setting alone is spectacular - mountains with thick forests of Ponderosa Pine. Narrow winding roads, spectacular vistas and rock formations.

                                      And the mountain is breathtaking! The story of how it was created is even better and the Park Service knocked it out of the park when they built the visitor center. Not sure how they are able to keep it all up with their reduced budget (Musk needs more money - gotta respect that) but it’s a wonderful presentation. If you ever have a chance to see it I suggest you do so without delay - who knows how long it will remain open.

                                      Minneapolis tomorrow - a 450 mile drive. Not sure what idiot planned that leg of the trip but future reservations depend on it.

                                      I’ll post pics when I get a WiFi connection.

                                      B 1 Reply Last reply
                                      👍
                                      • AdagioMA AdagioM

                                        @Daniel that’s a very different kind of blue hair!

                                        I used to walk my baby around the living room, narrating things that we could “see” and I remember mentioning all the blue haired ladies. Women used to use bluing in their white hair to make it look whiter. That was a generation ago!

                                        My baby is 38 now…

                                        D
                                        D
                                        Daniel
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #34

                                        @AdagioM said:

                                        @Daniel that’s a very different kind of blue hair!

                                        I used to walk my baby around the living room, narrating things that we could “see” and I remember mentioning all the blue haired ladies. Women used to use bluing in their white hair to make it look whiter. That was a generation ago!

                                        My baby is 38 now…

                                        @adagiom Indeed!

                                        'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        • AndyDA
                                          AndyDA
                                          AndyD
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #35

                                          @steve-miller
                                          I'm loving your tour, its all fascinatingly different to anything I've ever seen I dont know what else to say.
                                          Even your caravan, the way it fits over your pickup!

                                          Ventosa viri restabit

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups