Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Help with this rolled chord in Clair de Lune?

Help with this rolled chord in Clair de Lune?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
4 Posts 3 Posters 10 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • ShiroKuroS
    ShiroKuroS
    ShiroKuro
    wrote last edited by
    #1

    There’s a rolled chord in Clair de Lune that is giving me a lot of trouble. Here’s the score:

    alt text

    This is measures 25-27. Oh and for the record, CdL (this part anyway) is in Db major, so five flats.

    The part I’m struggling with is the LH in measure 26. First I played it 5-4-3-2-1, then I tried 5-3-2-1-2. Neither fingering choice was working. Then my teacher suggested to take the Db Eb with the thumb (i.e. play them with the thumb at basically the same time o r maybe with a slight lag as the thumb goes down on Db first), so now I’m playing it 5-3-2-1-1. I’ve been trying to play it this way for the last few days.

    But with each of these three options, I can’t seem to get it to sound right, or even passable. The rest of the LH here, and of course the RH, are all fine.

    Any suggestions about how to practice it? Or any thoughts on these different fingering options? What fingering would you do?

    @kluurs @bernard and @andyd any advice?

    Anyone else, please chime in!

    TIA!!

    1 Reply Last reply
    • AndyDA
      AndyDA
      AndyD
      wrote last edited by AndyD
      #2

      For me naturally the LH chords...
      1245
      12345
      12345
      1235
      12238.jpg

      Ventosa viri restabit

      1 Reply Last reply
      • AndyDA
        AndyDA
        AndyD
        wrote last edited by
        #3

        Sudden thought, is your body far enough right to make the fingers feel natural? Maybe move up the stool, or try the chord two octaves lower to find what works?

        Ventosa viri restabit

        1 Reply Last reply
        • B
          B
          Bernard
          wrote last edited by Bernard
          #4

          I do 1-2-3-4-5, but it didn't work for me at first--it was uneven and unpredictable. The way I figured out what to do was as follows. I don't know if I can explain it in words, but I'll try.

          1. I looked at the pattern of notes in the left hand, Eb-Gb-Ab-Db-Eb in the treble. The chord starts on Eb which is on the right side of a 2 black key block (Db and Eb), skips over 2 white keys to the next black key, Gb, then the next black key, Ab, then skips four half steps to the black key, Db, and finally the next black key, Eb.

          2. Then I figure out how to mirror that pattern for my right hand. So mirroring Eb-Gb-Ab-Db-Eb going up, I play in descending notes--with my right hand--Db (half step from middle C), Bb, Ab, Eb, Db using 5-4-3-2-1. It's the same pattern the left hand has to play but reversed for the right hand (and on different notes obviously, it's the pattern that counts).

          1. If I can play the mirror image of the pattern with my right hand, then it's just a process of figuring out what I'm doing on the right side of my body (hand, arm, shoulder, ...) that I'm not doing on my left. For me, I discovered a good deal of tension in the crook of my left elbow.

          2. Then I start making up exercises for my left hand while it's crossed in front of my body, specifically in an effort to open up my left elbow. For instance, holding my pinky on the Eb, trying to play step wise with my thumb and fore finger several notes away. It turns out I also had stiffness on the inside of my upper arm. It's a slow process and sometimes intense, but it works for me.

          Of course, we're all individual and none of this may help. I hope it does.

          Otherwise, an alternate fingering.

          The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

          1 Reply Last reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
          • Login

          • Don't have an account? Register

          • Login or register to search.
          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Categories
          • Recent
          • Tags
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Groups