Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. How Costco became a 'third place'

How Costco became a 'third place'

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
52 Posts 13 Posters 1.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • wtgW wtg

    @AndyD said:

    the crush of the unwashed hoards

    We go to a warehouse that is five minutes from our house, but there are a couple of others within 15 minutes or so that we go to occasionally because they do carry different products than our store does. Each warehouse has its own personality.

    The one in the town where rich people live is our least favorite. The members and the employees all seem to have the same sour attitude and it's pretty unpleasant to shop there. People fight over parking spaces and the employees look haggard and are rude to customers.

    There's another one in a middle class suburb where there are a lot of Indians and Pakistanis, and where we can get a wider variety of the food products from those countries. It's insanely busy but everyone is really nice.

    The third one is in an area that is multi-ethnic, with lots of Southeast Asians and that is near a suburb that has a large Jewish population. They have the best selection of foods I'm not likely to see anywhere else. The place is crazy busy, too, and has the feeling of a market. But in a fun way.

    Bottom line: The rich people are entitled snobs and make everyone else miserable.

    D
    D
    Daniel
    wrote on last edited by Daniel
    #21

    @wtg said:

    @AndyD said:

    the crush of the unwashed hoards

    We go to a warehouse that is five minutes from our house, but there are a couple of others within 15 minutes or so that we go to occasionally because they do carry different products than our store does. Each warehouse has its own personality.

    The one in the town where rich people live is our least favorite. The members and the employees all seem to have the same sour attitude and it's pretty unpleasant to shop there. People fight over parking spaces and the employees look haggard and are rude to customers.

    There's another one in a middle class suburb where there are a lot of Indians and Pakistanis, and where we can get a wider variety of the food products from those countries. It's insanely busy but everyone is really nice.

    The third one is in an area that is multi-ethnic, with lots of Southeast Asians and that is near a suburb that has a large Jewish population. They have the best selection of foods I'm not likely to see anywhere else. The place is crazy busy, too, and has the feeling of a market. But in a fun way.

    Bottom line: The rich people are entitled snobs and make everyone else miserable.

    That's an understatement.

    This is interesting.

    Every Costco here has the same inventory.

    1 Reply Last reply
    • D
      D
      Daniel
      wrote on last edited by
      #22
      This post is deleted!
      1 Reply Last reply
      • AdagioMA
        AdagioMA
        AdagioM
        wrote on last edited by
        #23

        I love Costco. I buy a lot of the same stuff that @wtg does.

        On my usual list:
        Eyeglasses when I need them! So much cheaper than the optician at eye doc office
        Eggs (free range) 18 count
        cheap wine for Mr. AM (he doesn’t care)
        Kirkland prosecco
        Nicer bubbly (currently Brut Cattin)
        TP
        Frozen shrimp, salmon burgers
        Frozen blueberries
        Quinoa
        Olives (stuffed with jalapeno and garlic, yum)
        Tuna
        Sardines
        Sneakers (Skechers $30)
        Sometimes prepared food that I can keep in the freezer for when I don’t feel like cooking
        Clothes
        Gasoline

        Anyway, I like it. I’m not making friends there, though. Oh! My niece works there, too.

        1 Reply Last reply
        • M
          M
          Mary Anna
          wrote on last edited by
          #24

          Costco is fine, if you were already planning to buy a carp ton of something. Quirt is our household's Costco-lover, but I can totally see the value for things like toilet paper that aren't perishable and that you're definitely going to use, presuming you have space to store them in Costco quantities.

          There's always the danger of buying a carp ton of something you think you'll use, but you don't. (This is why we'll be taking expired over-the-counter meds for the rest of our natural lives.) Since I'm more of a just-in-time shopper, I pay more per item, but I waste less. It's really hard to do the math on that kind of thing.

          I particularly dislike buying a carp ton of something that turns out to be disappointing. I got a bag of green beans last week that were beautiful--emerald green and no strings to speak of--but they literally tasted like nothing. I'd liken them to solid green water. Now there's a container of the leftovers in the refrigerator making me feel guilty, because I do not want to eat them. On the same trip, I got a box of cherry tomatoes. They're delicious and they stayed fresh forever. You just can't know until you get the stuff home and taste it. This is always true, but the waste stings when you've bought a lot of something and it's not good.

          As for the original post, I cannot fathom Costco as a third place or as any kind of pleasant social experience. I routinely leave the place hoping I never again have to see another human being.

          1 Reply Last reply
          • R
            R
            RealPlayer
            wrote on last edited by
            #25

            I’ve noticed that you can get used to buying some item regularly and then BAM, suddenly it’s gone. It all has to do with whatever deal (or lack thereof) that Costco has made with the manufacturer.

            1 Reply Last reply
            • D
              D
              Daniel
              wrote on last edited by Daniel
              #26

              Speaking of buying a carp ton of things, I've bought a lot of household supplies from Walmart.

              W...+ is a subscription I like. I'll do things like buy 18 rolls of toilet paper 2 in cart, 13 gallon garbage bags (x2), 32 gallon garbage bags (x2), cleaning vinegar (x2), dishwashing soap (x4), Zep spray bottles (x4), etc.

              I guess it's a kind of hoarding. It's partly a trauma response for sure

              The problem is the one you might expect. I have some items stocked for months, meaning some amount of that money has been put into the future, that could have been used to pay present bills or could have been used to pay a bill in the present into the future.

              As far as the social interaction, it says it- we'll leave your order at the door.

              Then do that.

              Don't knock.

              Non-contact delivery shouldn't include contact.

              I'm not rude about it but it's annoying.

              1 Reply Last reply
              • D
                D
                Daniel
                wrote on last edited by Daniel
                #27

                @realplayer I've been entertaining myself watching the price of stock items in stores rise in real time.

                It's not just me. People are creating YouTube channels with short videos. Go in one day. Video the price of something. Go in a week or two later...

                My favorite (and least favorite I'll admit) so far are- car models in toy section of CVS.

                $8.99 for years. Then one day suddenly $19.99.

                The other is my analog Casio had a $13 actual price (not retail) for 10 years.

                I buy a new one every few years when the face gets scratched up and hard to read, the band starts as soft but becomes less comfortable after a few years, and occasionally the replaceable battery will die but the watch is worn out.

                I went to the Wal-Mart site, found it, and bought it a few months ago.

                I paid between $25 and $30.

                Now I feel like I should be wearing gloves when I handle it.

                I actually store it in a locked file cabinet.

                1 Reply Last reply
                • ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuro
                  wrote on last edited by ShiroKuro
                  #28

                  @mary-anna i get the “never want to see another human” part, when we go to Sam’s Club, it’s always just chaos and people seem to be walking around with their eyes closed or something. Maybe if we could go at off-times, but that won’t be an option until I retire.

                  Another thing I don’t like is the warehouse feel…. That’s what I meant about it being sad that the mall is being replaced by Costco as a gathering place. At least malls had plants and nice places to sit, soft lighting, acoustics that weren’t horribly echo-y… instead we get the warehouse feel, harsh lighting, horrible acoustics, and people trying to run over you with their carts which are piled to the ceiling with soda.

                  Yay.

                  M 1 Reply Last reply
                  • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                    @mary-anna i get the “never want to see another human” part, when we go to Sam’s Club, it’s always just chaos and people seem to be walking around with their eyes closed or something. Maybe if we could go at off-times, but that won’t be an option until I retire.

                    Another thing I don’t like is the warehouse feel…. That’s what I meant about it being sad that the mall is being replaced by Costco as a gathering place. At least malls had plants and nice places to sit, soft lighting, acoustics that weren’t horribly echo-y… instead we get the warehouse feel, harsh lighting, horrible acoustics, and people trying to run over you with their carts which are piled to the ceiling with soda.

                    Yay.

                    M
                    M
                    Mary Anna
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #29

                    @ShiroKuro I agree! I don't know how a Costco warehouse is supposed to function as a third place where people can gather and socialize. If you tried to have a conversation in an aisle, people would be irritated that they couldn't get past you with their carts, and I actually wouldn't blame them. It's not set up as a place to hang out.

                    Even the food area is crowded and loud. We just get our hot dogs and go, which is fine for what we want to do, but it's not where you'd chit-chat with friends.

                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                    • wtgW
                      wtgW
                      wtg
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #30

                      Guess you guys aren't doing what the people who were profiled in the article are doing!

                      ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                      • wtgW wtg

                        Guess you guys aren't doing what the people who were profiled in the article are doing!

                        ShiroKuroS
                        ShiroKuroS
                        ShiroKuro
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #31

                        @wtg said:

                        Guess you guys aren't doing what the people who were profiled in the article are doing!

                        Nope, not even a little bit! 😄

                        The popularity of Costco for socializing reminds me of the trends in restaurant interiors as well.

                        Industrial design is everywhere. It's cold, hard, and noisy.

                        No thank you!

                        Maybe disliking this kind of thing is also similar to disliking the trend of gray-everything in houses too....

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • RontunerR
                          RontunerR
                          Rontuner
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #32

                          While I have run into a few neighborhood folks at our local Costco, I would never look at it as a gathering place, though there are always lots of folks eating...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • wtgW
                            wtgW
                            wtg
                            wrote on last edited by wtg
                            #33

                            C'mon guys, all together now: "GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

                            😀

                            So it's 1980. People meet in person, right? At school, at work, at church? If you had told me back then that I would have a bunch of online friends whom I've never met and that I've been part of the group for nearly 20 years, I would have thought you were crazy. And that some of us would meet and marry, having first met online? Fantasy world!

                            For a bunch of a different reasons, you couldn't drag me to a shopping mall, a Taylor Swift concert, or a Star Trek convention, but clearly a lot of people find those venues inviting, and I think that's great. They've found their comfy places to land, to be with people who share their interests. Costco nerds are just another flavor of that.

                            This thread has gotten into what we like/don't like about Costco and the bigger point that's being missed is recognizing that we human beings continue to find new ways to connect with each other. Costco is just one example. Not a terribly important one, but just another way. And it may not be yours.

                            It's not that complicated.

                            ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                            • AndyDA
                              AndyDA
                              AndyD
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #34

                              True, but I think I'm more likely to talk to someone on the underground than in Costco
                              😉

                              Ventosa viri restabit

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • wtgW
                                wtgW
                                wtg
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #35

                                I'm beginning to think that no one read the article....

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                😁
                                • wtgW wtg

                                  C'mon guys, all together now: "GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

                                  😀

                                  So it's 1980. People meet in person, right? At school, at work, at church? If you had told me back then that I would have a bunch of online friends whom I've never met and that I've been part of the group for nearly 20 years, I would have thought you were crazy. And that some of us would meet and marry, having first met online? Fantasy world!

                                  For a bunch of a different reasons, you couldn't drag me to a shopping mall, a Taylor Swift concert, or a Star Trek convention, but clearly a lot of people find those venues inviting, and I think that's great. They've found their comfy places to land, to be with people who share their interests. Costco nerds are just another flavor of that.

                                  This thread has gotten into what we like/don't like about Costco and the bigger point that's being missed is recognizing that we human beings continue to find new ways to connect with each other. Costco is just one example. Not a terribly important one, but just another way. And it may not be yours.

                                  It's not that complicated.

                                  ShiroKuroS
                                  ShiroKuroS
                                  ShiroKuro
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #36

                                  @wtg said:

                                  If you had told me back then that I would have a bunch of online friends whom I've never met and that I've been part of the group for nearly 20 years, I would have thought you were crazy.

                                  Oh absolutely!!

                                  the bigger point that's being missed is recognizing that we human beings continue to find new ways to connect with each other. Costco is just one example.

                                  I'm beginning to think that no one read the article....

                                  I actually did read the article, when you first posted it. And when I posted that it seems sad that malls are being replaced by Costco (which looks like a warehouse), I wrote that based on reading the article, and also based on the fact that "cozy spaces" seem to be being replaced with cold, metal and concrete spaces. That might be a "get off my lawn" take, but it is most definitely an aesthetic take. (Which is why I mentioned the gray trend).

                                  But back to your larger point... In fact, I think a lot of us humans (self included) are having a harder and harder time finding ways to connect with each other. For those who do manage to connect, whether it's at Costco or somewhere else, great! For the rest of us.... Well at least we still have WTF! ❤

                                  wtgW 1 Reply Last reply
                                  • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                                    @wtg said:

                                    If you had told me back then that I would have a bunch of online friends whom I've never met and that I've been part of the group for nearly 20 years, I would have thought you were crazy.

                                    Oh absolutely!!

                                    the bigger point that's being missed is recognizing that we human beings continue to find new ways to connect with each other. Costco is just one example.

                                    I'm beginning to think that no one read the article....

                                    I actually did read the article, when you first posted it. And when I posted that it seems sad that malls are being replaced by Costco (which looks like a warehouse), I wrote that based on reading the article, and also based on the fact that "cozy spaces" seem to be being replaced with cold, metal and concrete spaces. That might be a "get off my lawn" take, but it is most definitely an aesthetic take. (Which is why I mentioned the gray trend).

                                    But back to your larger point... In fact, I think a lot of us humans (self included) are having a harder and harder time finding ways to connect with each other. For those who do manage to connect, whether it's at Costco or somewhere else, great! For the rest of us.... Well at least we still have WTF! ❤

                                    wtgW
                                    wtgW
                                    wtg
                                    wrote on last edited by wtg
                                    #37

                                    @ShiroKuro said:

                                    but it is most definitely an aesthetic take

                                    No one I know goes to McDonald's for the food, coffee, or atmosphere.

                                    We have a friend who goes to McDonald's every day for a gathering with a bunch of buddies. Every day at 10 and they're there till noon. During COVID they would sit outside on the benches.

                                    In the olden days, it would have been a group of women and it would have been called a "coffee klatch".

                                    It's all about the people.

                                    ShiroKuroS DougGD 2 Replies Last reply
                                    • wtgW wtg

                                      @ShiroKuro said:

                                      but it is most definitely an aesthetic take

                                      No one I know goes to McDonald's for the food, coffee, or atmosphere.

                                      We have a friend who goes to McDonald's every day for a gathering with a bunch of buddies. Every day at 10 and they're there till noon. During COVID they would sit outside on the benches.

                                      In the olden days, it would have been a group of women and it would have been called a "coffee klatch".

                                      It's all about the people.

                                      ShiroKuroS
                                      ShiroKuroS
                                      ShiroKuro
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #38

                                      @wtg said:

                                      It's all about the people.

                                      I want to agree with this, but at the same time, it's also about the acoustics! I can't stand trying to talk to someone where there are bad acoustics, and industrial design is always noisy. (I don't have anything to say about McDonalds because I haven't been inside a McDonalds in many, many years).

                                      But having said that, if there was some place I could go to find people to connect with, chat, make some new IRL friends... well that would be wonderful.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      • wtgW
                                        wtgW
                                        wtg
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #39

                                        I officially give up.

                                        AndyDA 1 Reply Last reply
                                        • RontunerR
                                          RontunerR
                                          Rontuner
                                          wrote on last edited by Rontuner
                                          #40

                                          When we moved downtown, we decided to choose bar seating when we went out to eat. (pretty common dinner choice) We have met a very interesting mix of people - both local 'bar rats' as well as the people in town for conventions and other events. Getting to know the bartenders and other staff has benefits too.. Yes, community is where you find or create it!

                                          We have a number of places within a 10 minute walk and if we need more steps that day there are way more worth the walk a little farther away.

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups