Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Switzerland

Switzerland

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
55 Posts 11 Posters 1.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • M
    M
    Mary Anna
    wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I took the train from Milan to Zurich once, then spent a few days in Zurich. The train goes through the Alps and it's just spectacular. Zurich was beautiful. We spent one day walking through the city and the other day walking a path in the mountains overlooking the city.

    We went to a place that specialized in fondue. It was probably pretty touristy, but it was fun and tasty. That's where I discovered that I liked riesling when it wasn't overly sweet.

    I don't recall what hotel where we stayed, but I had a meal there that was absurdly memorable for no good reason. It was just a simply prepared white fish filet, maybe flounder, potatoes, a green salad without too many ingredients, and a glass of dry white wine, but every bite of it was perfectly prepared. I can't explain it.

    1 Reply Last reply
    • D
      D
      Daniel
      wrote on last edited by Daniel
      #11

      Yay! 🎉

      How great.

      I've always wanted to go to Switzerland.

      My maternal grandfather (so my late mother and myself as well) was directly descended from German speaking Switzerland.

      Basel, 1300's, church records. He had genealogy work done. I verified it to see what I thought. Easy to follow. Birth, marriage, and deaths recorded. Copies provided.

      My mother's maiden name was Swiss-German.

      I'm Swiss-German and identity strongly with this line of my ancestors.

      "Basel is primarily German-speaking, making it part of Deutschschweiz (German-speaking Switzerland).While the official written language is Standard Swiss German, the local spoken dialect is Baseldytsch (Basel German), a distinct variety of High Alemannic. Because of its location directly on the border with France and Germany, you will also hear a lot of French and English spoken throughout the city."

      It's a beautiful a beautiful place of the world as everyone in the world knows.

      I'm looking forward to your travel reports and pictures!

      Be safe.

      'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

      1 Reply Last reply
      • R RealPlayer

        Cheese! Far more than just the generic Swiss.

        D
        D
        Daniel
        wrote on last edited by Daniel
        #12

        @RealPlayer said:

        Cheese! Far more than just the generic Swiss.

        It's my favorite. Blasphemy!

        @steve-miller , Couldn't see a picture.

        Anticipating knowing place!

        'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

        R 1 Reply Last reply
        • AxtremusA
          AxtremusA
          Axtremus
          wrote on last edited by
          #13

          @steve-miller Bon voyage, enjoy Switzerland!

          Speaking of Zurich and airports ... sometime in the near future I expect to have a 14 hour layover at the Zurich airport, from 8 PM to 10 AM the next day. Anyone familiar with the Zurich airport care to share tips for how to best deal with this extended overnight layover at ZRH?

          1 Reply Last reply
          • D Daniel

            @RealPlayer said:

            Cheese! Far more than just the generic Swiss.

            It's my favorite. Blasphemy!

            @steve-miller , Couldn't see a picture.

            Anticipating knowing place!

            R
            R
            RealPlayer
            wrote on last edited by
            #14

            @Daniel Sorry, not really disparaging Swiss cheese. It’s one of my favorites too.

            I was in Lugano, Switzerland to make a piano TV show around 2012, and there was a memorable cheese (and bread) shop a short walk from the hotel. What I meant was that there’s a great variety that we don’t see here, very tasty. And yet broadly related to the Swiss cheese we get here, but earthier and with varying intensity and terroir. Delectable!

            1 Reply Last reply
            • D
              D
              Daniel
              wrote on last edited by Daniel
              #15

              @realplayer Oh, no worries.

              My palate has never been accused of being sophisticated.

              I'm glad your career brought you to Lugano, and that you enjoyed the cheese!

              'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

              1 Reply Last reply
              • S
                S
                Steve Miller
                wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
                #16

                Staying 4 nights in Zurich. Newer Hyatt - modern to the point of austerity. Suits me fine. Includes breakfast. Everything we need and nothing we don’t.

                Breakfast included. They invented Meusli here and I hope I find it on the chow line.

                So far things in Switzerland impress me. Similar to Germany - clean, well engineered,
                and efficient. Maybe even more so.
                Everything works!

                1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                • S
                  S
                  Steve Miller
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #17

                  TIL that Zürich is the most expensive city in the world - and I believe it! The price of everything is - YIKES!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  • S
                    S
                    Steve Miller
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #18

                    IMG-6849.jpg

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    👍
                    • S
                      S
                      Steve Miller
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #19

                      Our first authentic Swiss meal. “Raclette” which is both the name of the cheese and how they prepare it (poured over bread and/or potatoes, sausage and/or bacon on the side) There is nothing here not to like. 👍

                      wtgW MikM 2 Replies Last reply
                      👍
                      • C
                        C
                        CHAS
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #20

                        If you notice women in fishnet stockings in the doorways you are in the redlight district. That was when we realized our hotel was in that district in Geneva.

                        Illegitimi non carborundum

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • ShiroKuroS
                          ShiroKuroS
                          ShiroKuro
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #21

                          I love swiss cheese (I mean, I pretty much love any cheese...) so I would love the chance to have different swiss cheeses in Switzerland!

                          (Feeling a little hungry here.... 😅

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • S Steve Miller

                            Our first authentic Swiss meal. “Raclette” which is both the name of the cheese and how they prepare it (poured over bread and/or potatoes, sausage and/or bacon on the side) There is nothing here not to like. 👍

                            wtgW
                            wtgW
                            wtg
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #22

                            @Steve-Miller said:

                            Our first authentic Swiss meal. “Raclette” which is both the name of the cheese and how they prepare it (poured over bread and/or potatoes, sausage and/or bacon on the side) There is nothing here not to like. 👍

                            Oh man, that raclette looks fabulous. I'm so envious!!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            • S
                              S
                              Steve Miller
                              wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
                              #23

                              Took a cable car to the top of a mountain overlooking Lake Zurich.

                              Spectacular!

                              IMG-1096.jpg

                              IMG-1091.jpg

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              ♥
                              • S Steve Miller

                                I’ve heard the road to hell changes planes in Atlanta. We’re changing planes in Atlanta.

                                Coincidence?

                                MikM
                                MikM
                                Mik
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #24

                                @Steve-Miller said:

                                I’ve heard the road to hell changes planes in Atlanta. We’re changing planes in Atlanta.

                                Coincidence?

                                That was true in the 90's and early 2000's. Not so much now. It's well laid out and easy to get around from concourse to concourse. O'Hare is my most hated now, with Charlotte and Miami coming in close seconds.

                                “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
                                ― Douglas Adams

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                • S Steve Miller

                                  Our first authentic Swiss meal. “Raclette” which is both the name of the cheese and how they prepare it (poured over bread and/or potatoes, sausage and/or bacon on the side) There is nothing here not to like. 👍

                                  MikM
                                  MikM
                                  Mik
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #25

                                  @Steve-Miller said:

                                  Our first authentic Swiss meal. “Raclette” which is both the name of the cheese and how they prepare it (poured over bread and/or potatoes, sausage and/or bacon on the side) There is nothing here not to like. 👍

                                  You may want to look into this after this trip.

                                  https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/the-christ-hospital-seeks-volunteers-for-single-shot-treatment-that-may-fix-high-cholesterol

                                  “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
                                  ― Douglas Adams

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  • wtgW
                                    wtgW
                                    wtg
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #26

                                    OTOH, maybe you should just eat your cheese...and ice cream....

                                    https://www.npr.org/2026/07/13/nx-s1-5884664/zeke-emanuel-optimize-health-long-life

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    👍
                                    • S
                                      S
                                      Steve Miller
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #27

                                      The #1 snack in Switzerland. Seems random so I had to taste for myself. Definitely not hard to find.

                                      IMG-6918.jpg

                                      Don't eat chips often but I might I might make an exception for these! The flavor is very subtle compared to flavored American chips - maybe regular BBQ flavor at 1/4 volume with a bit of lime and vinegar. Very tasty.

                                      Limited distribution outside of Germany and Switzerland, which will sound exotic to the home folks. Light, cheap, and familiar enough in flavor that the toddlers will eat them.

                                      Souvenirs!

                                      J 1 Reply Last reply
                                      • S
                                        S
                                        Steve Miller
                                        wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
                                        #28

                                        Tour bus driver suggested a restaurant where we could sample the iconic foods of Switzerland. Says he’s never been there but it’s always busy and the diners look like locals. Next door to where our tour bus dropped us off so why not?

                                        Nailed it! This places breaks no new ground and was exactly what we wanted.

                                        Veal strips and onion gravy. Think beef stroganoff light with a pinch of (nutmeg?). Served with rosti - hash browns with extra butter. Another less than photogenic meal but very satisfying.

                                        IMG-6913.jpg

                                        Fondue, of course. Emmenthaler with white wine, bread, taters and pears. (Pears?). Excellent! I’m beginning to wonder why everyone doesn’t weigh 600 pounds but the general population appears to be quite fit. It might be all of the hills and stairs.

                                        We were advised not to eat from the dipping fork (rude and unsanitary) but it seems everyone does it anyway.

                                        IMG-6916.jpg

                                        Cream of veg soup. No cream I could discern, more of a puree. Has zucchini in it which would overpower most soups but works in this one. I’ll be making this one at home. Photographs comparatively well.

                                        IMG-6915.jpg

                                        This one has a long name but the toddlers would recognize it instantly as Mac and cheese. Sharp white cheese rather than cheddar.

                                        IMG-6917.jpg

                                        That pretty much covered the list except for “Berner platter” which no one else wants to try but me. Kind of a charcuterie with dried green beans (?), sauerkraut and sausages.

                                        I’ll watch for it.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        • S
                                          S
                                          Steve Miller
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #29

                                          IMG-6901.jpg

                                          #3 most popular soda in Switzerland after Coke and Coke Zero. Not nearly as sweet as either of those and made with whey, of all things. Very unusual, think “iced tea w/lemon, carbonated with a little sugarl

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups