Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?

Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
57 Posts 9 Posters 1.6k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • AndyDA AndyD

    Looking forward to hearing you learn & play it Shirokuro. I'll struggle along beside you.

    Suddenly I miss my old (literally) piano teacher. She was in her 70's, and would occasionally demonstrate what she wanted by taking the seat and playing, always so beautifully. How, musically, would she have played it...

    I realise there are very good players here and I'd really love to hear any of you (by my count at least 4) who know it, if you can spare 5 minutes for a quick recording please.

    ShiroKuroS
    ShiroKuroS
    ShiroKuro
    wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @AndyD said:

    Looking forward to hearing you learn & play it Shirokuro.

    thank you!!

    I'll struggle along beside you.

    Yay! It's good to have a partner! (Partner in crime in struggle)

    1 Reply Last reply
    • ShiroKuroS
      ShiroKuroS
      ShiroKuro
      wrote on last edited by
      #38

      @kluurs in measure 26, for the last rolled chord, are you moving that low C into the right hand, and then having the lowest note be the Gb?

      K 1 Reply Last reply
      • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

        @kluurs in measure 26, for the last rolled chord, are you moving that low C into the right hand, and then having the lowest note be the Gb?

        K
        K
        kluurs
        wrote on last edited by
        #39

        @ShiroKuro said:

        @kluurs in measure 26, for the last rolled chord, are you moving that low C into the right hand, and then having the lowest note be the Gb?

        If I understand you correctly, I play all 4 notes of the bass in the left hand - and the top 3 in the right.

        1 Reply Last reply
        👍
        • ShiroKuroS
          ShiroKuroS
          ShiroKuro
          wrote on last edited by
          #40

          Perfect, that’s what I wanted to know! (There was some direction on the score I didn’t understand. )

          It’s rolled so I will do it that way as well. (First four notes w LH)

          1 Reply Last reply
          • K
            K
            kluurs
            wrote on last edited by kluurs
            #41

            After answering I looked at what Bavouzet actually does - and he does it the same (4 bass notes in left hand) - see his video at around 16:34 - though he plays it a bit more straight forwardly than I do. Both Bavouzet and Debussy would probably hate that I introduce a ritard there - but then I'm not playing for a jury.

            ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
            • K kluurs

              After answering I looked at what Bavouzet actually does - and he does it the same (4 bass notes in left hand) - see his video at around 16:34 - though he plays it a bit more straight forwardly than I do. Both Bavouzet and Debussy would probably hate that I introduce a ritard there - but then I'm not playing for a jury.

              ShiroKuroS
              ShiroKuroS
              ShiroKuro
              wrote on last edited by
              #42

              @kluurs said:

              After answering I looked at what Bavouzet actually does - and he does it the same (4 bass notes in left hand) - see his video at around 16:34

              thanks!

              Both Bavouzet and Debussy would probably hate that I introduce a ritard there - but then I'm not playing for a jury.

              😄 Me neither!

              Oh wait, conceivably, I could end up playing this for a jury... 😅

              (It would be my choice though)

              1 Reply Last reply
              • K
                K
                kluurs
                wrote on last edited by kluurs
                #43

                After playing with this a bit, I played it that way (bottom 4 notes in LH) because that's how I learned it. After looking at it a bit more and playing it this afternoon, if I were learning it now, I might do what they recommend (C to RH) as that allows one to hold the important A-flat.

                EDIT - watched Hugh Sung's episode 34 where he discusses this. He notes that it is personal preference which way to go. He noted that Jorge Bolet used the "cheat" way (C to the RH) which allows one's rolled chord to retain the low A-flat.

                1 Reply Last reply
                • AndyDA AndyD

                  @Mark said:

                  You are more than capable of learning it.

                  I have never played it. But, I'm pretty sure I could learn it. I have been so focused on Chopin over the past year that I feel like I should move on to a different composer.

                  What Chopin are you playing?

                  M
                  M
                  Mark
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #44

                  @AndyD

                  Last October, 2025 I started taking lessons again. Jon's NYC Piano Party was the catalyst that prompted my desire to learn new pieces and to find a qualified teacher. I found the teacher and after about 2 months of me going to his, after my knee replacement surgery, he started coming to my house for lessons. We haven't been back to his place since. I think he likes my piano. 😉

                  I started out with The Valse Op 64, No 2. Then moved on to two Nocturnes, Op 9, No 2, and Op 72, No 1.

                  I have all three of them memorized now. I play through all three at least once daily and since the Op72 No1 is my latest, I concentrate on polishing it more. I am still working on at least 2 or more areas in each piece to attain better accuracy, dynamics, etc.

                  ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                  👍
                  • M Mark

                    @AndyD

                    Last October, 2025 I started taking lessons again. Jon's NYC Piano Party was the catalyst that prompted my desire to learn new pieces and to find a qualified teacher. I found the teacher and after about 2 months of me going to his, after my knee replacement surgery, he started coming to my house for lessons. We haven't been back to his place since. I think he likes my piano. 😉

                    I started out with The Valse Op 64, No 2. Then moved on to two Nocturnes, Op 9, No 2, and Op 72, No 1.

                    I have all three of them memorized now. I play through all three at least once daily and since the Op72 No1 is my latest, I concentrate on polishing it more. I am still working on at least 2 or more areas in each piece to attain better accuracy, dynamics, etc.

                    ShiroKuroS
                    ShiroKuroS
                    ShiroKuro
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #45

                    @Mark that’s wonderful!!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • AndyDA
                      AndyDA
                      AndyD
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #46

                      @mark
                      Mark, thanks, yes the discipline to play each through daily is one thing for me to take on.
                      Getting a good teacher is another ideal, if as is likely, I continue learning certain classical pieces. A lesson every fortnight would do.

                      The first two Chopin you play, I remember attempting (not very successfully) as a teenager because my elder sister played them, leaving her music open on the music stand tempting me to dabble with (she attained all 8 grades before going to University and I'm 5 years younger so was always catching up, before musically going our different ways). They are beautiful works.
                      The third Chopin is new to me and shall find it on youtube.

                      Ventosa viri restabit

                      ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                      👍
                      • AndyDA AndyD

                        @mark
                        Mark, thanks, yes the discipline to play each through daily is one thing for me to take on.
                        Getting a good teacher is another ideal, if as is likely, I continue learning certain classical pieces. A lesson every fortnight would do.

                        The first two Chopin you play, I remember attempting (not very successfully) as a teenager because my elder sister played them, leaving her music open on the music stand tempting me to dabble with (she attained all 8 grades before going to University and I'm 5 years younger so was always catching up, before musically going our different ways). They are beautiful works.
                        The third Chopin is new to me and shall find it on youtube.

                        ShiroKuroS
                        ShiroKuroS
                        ShiroKuro
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #47

                        @AndyD said:
                        the discipline to play each through daily

                        For whatever reason, daily practice and consistency (like returning to daily practice if I miss a day) is the one thing I’m really, really good at. Of course, partly that’s because I worked really hard early on to make consistent practice a routine, and I read all the things online about how to do that.

                        Another reason surely has to do with the fact that I started as an adult and was (still am?) a little bit obsessed with piano. And then the few times I’ve had serious challenges to my ability to stick with piano (grad school, big moves, career changes) I’ve used daily practice (or at least daily playing) as a way to keep me connected to piano even when I wasn’t practicing enough to progress or improve.

                        Getting a good teacher is another ideal, if as is likely, I continue learning certain classical pieces. A lesson every fortnight would do.

                        I am a huge proponent of taking lessons, and I personally prefer in-person, real time lessons. But there are lots of good online options as well (both real time or self-paced). Have you considered something like Tonebase? I believe it’s fairly well-regarded. And if you’re playing classical pieces, it seems like a good model.

                        If fitting real-time lessons into your schedule is challenging, perhaps you could start with something like that?

                        @kluurs are/were you a member of Tonebase?

                        K 1 Reply Last reply
                        • K
                          K
                          kluurs
                          wrote on last edited by kluurs
                          #48

                          Yes, I'm a member of Tonebase. I joined when they first started it. They have some wonderful performers in their group. I loved the programs from Seymour Bernstein. I wish he'd done more. Sadly, he passed away recently.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          👍
                          • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                            @AndyD said:
                            the discipline to play each through daily

                            For whatever reason, daily practice and consistency (like returning to daily practice if I miss a day) is the one thing I’m really, really good at. Of course, partly that’s because I worked really hard early on to make consistent practice a routine, and I read all the things online about how to do that.

                            Another reason surely has to do with the fact that I started as an adult and was (still am?) a little bit obsessed with piano. And then the few times I’ve had serious challenges to my ability to stick with piano (grad school, big moves, career changes) I’ve used daily practice (or at least daily playing) as a way to keep me connected to piano even when I wasn’t practicing enough to progress or improve.

                            Getting a good teacher is another ideal, if as is likely, I continue learning certain classical pieces. A lesson every fortnight would do.

                            I am a huge proponent of taking lessons, and I personally prefer in-person, real time lessons. But there are lots of good online options as well (both real time or self-paced). Have you considered something like Tonebase? I believe it’s fairly well-regarded. And if you’re playing classical pieces, it seems like a good model.

                            If fitting real-time lessons into your schedule is challenging, perhaps you could start with something like that?

                            @kluurs are/were you a member of Tonebase?

                            K
                            K
                            kluurs
                            wrote on last edited by kluurs
                            #49

                            @ShiroKuro said:

                            @AndyD said:
                            the discipline to play each through daily

                            For whatever reason, daily practice and consistency (like returning to daily practice if I miss a day) is the one thing I’m really, really good at.

                            If fitting real-time lessons into your schedule is challenging, perhaps you could start with something like that?

                            @kluurs are/were you a member of Tonebase?

                            I was listening to a podcast with one of the top personal trainers in the country. It was interesting that when he was asked where he focused with a first time client - and his answer was schedule. That is if a person can't keep a schedule for working out, it would fail. So, that's where he started and focused a lot of his energy. They spoke for almost 3 hours - and consistency came up time and again. At one point, the interviewer asked what was the best time of day to realize the most gains - and the trainer side stepped and said, "whatever time of the day the person can consistently focus their time."

                            For me, that's typically late in the day. I went a few years when I don't think I played 10 hours on the piano in the entire year - as work and ancillary activities of life took up all my time.

                            Now that I'm retired I can be a bit more consistent. I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

                            I joked with Mik a long while back, that if I dedicated myself to playing several hours a day and with proper instruction, I might rise from a bad player to mediocre - but such a lofty goal is unlikely. Doesn't matter - hopefully, in my next life, I jump in line for musical talent as soon as the doors open.

                            ShiroKuroS AdagioMA 2 Replies Last reply
                            👍
                            • K kluurs

                              @ShiroKuro said:

                              @AndyD said:
                              the discipline to play each through daily

                              For whatever reason, daily practice and consistency (like returning to daily practice if I miss a day) is the one thing I’m really, really good at.

                              If fitting real-time lessons into your schedule is challenging, perhaps you could start with something like that?

                              @kluurs are/were you a member of Tonebase?

                              I was listening to a podcast with one of the top personal trainers in the country. It was interesting that when he was asked where he focused with a first time client - and his answer was schedule. That is if a person can't keep a schedule for working out, it would fail. So, that's where he started and focused a lot of his energy. They spoke for almost 3 hours - and consistency came up time and again. At one point, the interviewer asked what was the best time of day to realize the most gains - and the trainer side stepped and said, "whatever time of the day the person can consistently focus their time."

                              For me, that's typically late in the day. I went a few years when I don't think I played 10 hours on the piano in the entire year - as work and ancillary activities of life took up all my time.

                              Now that I'm retired I can be a bit more consistent. I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

                              I joked with Mik a long while back, that if I dedicated myself to playing several hours a day and with proper instruction, I might rise from a bad player to mediocre - but such a lofty goal is unlikely. Doesn't matter - hopefully, in my next life, I jump in line for musical talent as soon as the doors open.

                              ShiroKuroS
                              ShiroKuroS
                              ShiroKuro
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #50

                              @kluurs said:

                              "whatever time of the day the person can consistently focus their time."

                              Yep. My preference would be to practice in the morning, but it's just not possible. So it's usually night time, but even if I can only put in a little bit of time, I do. And then when i have a bigger chunk of time, I benefit from that more because I've been at the piano consistently.

                              @kluurs said:

                              if I dedicated myself to playing several hours a day and with proper instruction, I might rise from a bad player to mediocre

                              That's pretty much me. As you say, it doesn't matter. It gives me great joy. (And somehow, miraculously, doesn't drive my husband crazy).

                              So I keep playing. 🙂

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • K kluurs

                                @ShiroKuro said:

                                @AndyD said:
                                the discipline to play each through daily

                                For whatever reason, daily practice and consistency (like returning to daily practice if I miss a day) is the one thing I’m really, really good at.

                                If fitting real-time lessons into your schedule is challenging, perhaps you could start with something like that?

                                @kluurs are/were you a member of Tonebase?

                                I was listening to a podcast with one of the top personal trainers in the country. It was interesting that when he was asked where he focused with a first time client - and his answer was schedule. That is if a person can't keep a schedule for working out, it would fail. So, that's where he started and focused a lot of his energy. They spoke for almost 3 hours - and consistency came up time and again. At one point, the interviewer asked what was the best time of day to realize the most gains - and the trainer side stepped and said, "whatever time of the day the person can consistently focus their time."

                                For me, that's typically late in the day. I went a few years when I don't think I played 10 hours on the piano in the entire year - as work and ancillary activities of life took up all my time.

                                Now that I'm retired I can be a bit more consistent. I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

                                I joked with Mik a long while back, that if I dedicated myself to playing several hours a day and with proper instruction, I might rise from a bad player to mediocre - but such a lofty goal is unlikely. Doesn't matter - hopefully, in my next life, I jump in line for musical talent as soon as the doors open.

                                AdagioMA
                                AdagioMA
                                AdagioM
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #51

                                @kluurs said:
                                I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

                                Oh! This sounds like me. I started playing around at the piano again a few weeks ago, trying to revive pieces that I played before. I haven’t played the piano in at least a decade. It’s slow going, but I like the way the notes sound. (I remember how some of the pieces should sound, which helps me fumble my way through.)

                                ShiroKuroS J 2 Replies Last reply
                                👍
                                • AdagioMA AdagioM

                                  @kluurs said:
                                  I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

                                  Oh! This sounds like me. I started playing around at the piano again a few weeks ago, trying to revive pieces that I played before. I haven’t played the piano in at least a decade. It’s slow going, but I like the way the notes sound. (I remember how some of the pieces should sound, which helps me fumble my way through.)

                                  ShiroKuroS
                                  ShiroKuroS
                                  ShiroKuro
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #52

                                  @AdagioM wonderful!

                                  What a was the trigger that pulled you back?

                                  AdagioMA 1 Reply Last reply
                                  • AdagioMA AdagioM

                                    @kluurs said:
                                    I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

                                    Oh! This sounds like me. I started playing around at the piano again a few weeks ago, trying to revive pieces that I played before. I haven’t played the piano in at least a decade. It’s slow going, but I like the way the notes sound. (I remember how some of the pieces should sound, which helps me fumble my way through.)

                                    J
                                    J
                                    jon-nyc
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #53

                                    @AdagioM Good to hear!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    😊
                                    • K
                                      K
                                      kluurs
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #54

                                      For all of us wishing to be humbled - here is 7 year old Olivia Li - who is the youngest person ever accepted to the Curtis Institute of Music (Yuja Wang's alma mater) playing the Chopin etude in thirds...

                                      Link to video

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      • AndyDA
                                        AndyDA
                                        AndyD
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #55

                                        Crikey.
                                        What next, where will she be led after mastering the hardest Chopin?

                                        Ventosa viri restabit

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                                          @AdagioM wonderful!

                                          What a was the trigger that pulled you back?

                                          AdagioMA
                                          AdagioMA
                                          AdagioM
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #56

                                          @ShiroKuro Honestly SK, I think it was you! Posting up about Wiosna, which I’ve played before.

                                          It’s so nice to calm my monkey mind and be so totally immersed in something that takes all my concentration. I love the way it sounds, and the way the vibrations run through me. I don’t ever want to play publicly; I have terrible piano stage fright. I’m just doing this for me. (I can sing and play the guitar in public with no problem. Go figure.)

                                          So thank you for the inspiration.

                                          ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                                          👍

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups