So, how weird are you??
-
It's a game we can all play. When I was a child, my parents had something like 9 televisions - of which we used 3 and some were original to the 1950s and didn't work. They also collected empty boxes - cuz you might need one someday. Sadly, I've got those genes - maybe you have to a lesser extent.
How many lamps (not counting wall or ceiling fixtures) do you have in your living room?
Me - 24
How many colanders do you have in your kitchen/pantry?
8 that I know of.Feel free to chime in on your living room lamps or colander collection - but also join in and add your "gee, I wonder if I have enough ______ in your house." Don't think of mentioning compact discs. Wondering how many wing tips Doug has....
-
It's a game we can all play. When I was a child, my parents had something like 9 televisions - of which we used 3 and some were original to the 1950s and didn't work. They also collected empty boxes - cuz you might need one someday. Sadly, I've got those genes - maybe you have to a lesser extent.
How many lamps (not counting wall or ceiling fixtures) do you have in your living room?
Me - 24
How many colanders do you have in your kitchen/pantry?
8 that I know of.Feel free to chime in on your living room lamps or colander collection - but also join in and add your "gee, I wonder if I have enough ______ in your house." Don't think of mentioning compact discs. Wondering how many wing tips Doug has....
I Wondering how many wing tips Doug has....
Actually, since I moved to Nevada, I hardly go to the beach so I don’t really need wing tips anymore.
i’ll have to think for a moment about whether I actually have any weird traits. I have three lamps in my living room, two of which I salvaged from my mom’s house when she passed. Could’ve spent as much as 10 bucks on the other one.
-
I have zero lamps in my living room but have been meaning to buy one.
Trying to thing about what, of my possessions, makes me weird.
I have 2 pianos, but that doesn’t make me weird here.
I have probably 7-8 suitcases. I married Imelda Marcos - I think Mayla might have as many shoes as kluurs has CDs.
-
Hm. I always pictured Doug with winklepickers.

9 lamps in the LR, which I think is good for it's size.
I just gave away all my CDs except for a few. I figured after a few years of sporadically listening to them--at best--it was time. It went along with my large speakers and amp and player. It all took up too much room. I'll be looking for a smaller system for the few CDs I kept.
-
I'm pretty sure we have something (many things, probably) that put us in the weird category.... let me think here....
I think we probably have some items that serve a limited, specialized purpose....
Like, we have guest slippers because we don't allow indoor shoes in our house. That wouldn't make us weird in Japan, and in fact most of our guest slippers are from Japan. Did I mention that we have over 20 pairs of guest slippers?
We also have mini spoons and forks, demitasse or dessert size, that I like to use for... you know, dessert-like things. Like, if I'm having yogurt, I like to put a dollop of homemade jam in it, in a little bowl, and eat it with a little spoon. (When I say it that way, it sounds really weird...)
I also like to peel my apple to take to work for lunch, and then I eat it with one of those little forks. My mom thinks that's weird.
I'm sure there's more but this is probably a good stopping point. (I miss that "who me" emoji from PW...)
-
Shine a light 24!
Is a 360° photo possible?We have one oak standing lamp next to the piano, but 9 pairs of binoculars on top of it and a sword inside it (and another dozen wooden swords/staffs around the house).
Bought 21 books yesterday; a library is perfectly normal isn't it?
Stopping now. -
Shine a light 24!
Is a 360° photo possible?We have one oak standing lamp next to the piano, but 9 pairs of binoculars on top of it and a sword inside it (and another dozen wooden swords/staffs around the house).
Bought 21 books yesterday; a library is perfectly normal isn't it?
Stopping now. -
Oh are we talking about lamps? I feel like at one point (in an earlier rental) we had a million lamps in one room, but now things are relatively calm. One lamp in the living room, one lamp by the piano... three lamps in our bedroom because one on each side of the bed, and one on a dresser that's hooked up to a wall switch. One lamp in the guest room, one lamp in my home office.... and one or actually maybe two lamps in Mr. SK's studio.
-
-
Optics are fabulous, camera lenses, binoculars, telescopes.
When does a collector become an obsessive? -
-
Two pianos is definitely not excessive. I had a digital and an upright for a while. I never played the digital though, so when I got my grand (and got rid of the upright) I sold the digital as well.
@jon-nyc what is your second piano? I assume a digital or hybrid? What kind?
@kluurs the more I think about it, the more I think 24 is a lot of lamps for one room....

-
Six OIL lamps. The first one was left in the house by a previous owner. Then I found a matching one in an antique shop and thought it could use a mate, and they could flank the fireplace mantel. Then I fell in love with a pair of sleek modern ones (Wolford) to grace the other mantel in the foyer. Finally, I bought and reconditioned two hand-held lamps for carrying around the house during a power outage (memories of Hurricane Sandy).
-
I think we need some photos of all these lamps, or at least any interesting ones! Starting with the oil lamps, @realplayer !
-
Save for counting all you weirdos as friends, I am normal, not weird at all.
While I have a normal number of steak knives, I rarely use them to eat food; rather, I use them for food prep.
I am very good at separating meat from bones using only a spoon and a fork. This does not make my weird, just eccentrically skilled. -
Save for counting all you weirdos as friends, I am normal, not weird at all.
While I have a normal number of steak knives, I rarely use them to eat food; rather, I use them for food prep.
I am very good at separating meat from bones using only a spoon and a fork. This does not make my weird, just eccentrically skilled.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

