It’ll just be me and a bunch of old people
-
-
-
It’s amazing how we know we’re different from “those people.”
-
I have my 40 year high school reunion this weekend. The main event is tomorrow night at a country club, but tonight there’s a local bar where some are meeting.
I’m here in a suburb of Rochester about to head to the bar.
-
Yup - old people. A bunch of college friends suggested getting together for lunch. I was thinking, "that will be nice. There are a lot of restaurants i'd like to try." Email came back with the restaurant selected - "Mother's Day Restaurant." Now, I realize that does sound awfully highfalutin - but sadly, you'd be mistaken. My first thought after hearing the selection was "that's a restaurant for old people." Second thought: "You are an old person." Third thought, "I was a little embarrassed years back when my parents wanted to go there." The circle of personal humiliation has come full circle. Oh yes, it was everything I remembered - except now... I belong.
-
-
Yup - old people. A bunch of college friends suggested getting together for lunch. I was thinking, "that will be nice. There are a lot of restaurants i'd like to try." Email came back with the restaurant selected - "Mother's Day Restaurant." Now, I realize that does sound awfully highfalutin - but sadly, you'd be mistaken. My first thought after hearing the selection was "that's a restaurant for old people." Second thought: "You are an old person." Third thought, "I was a little embarrassed years back when my parents wanted to go there." The circle of personal humiliation has come full circle. Oh yes, it was everything I remembered - except now... I belong.
@kluurs there are indeed restaurants that have an old-person vibe. When I was in my 20s in San Francisco there was Sears Fine Foods near the Powell St. cable car. Plush décor, banquettes, white tablecloths, older patrons, an air of formality. Still loved going there, even though I was just a hippie kid. There was a posh hotel on Market St. that had sumptuous breakfasts amid chandeliers (surprised they served us in our countercultural attire).
-
-
I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?
-
-
I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?
Nope. We had a 1000+ graduating class but don't believe any of my closer friends attend so not much point to catch up with people I didn't know back then.
@kluurs said:
Nope. We had a 1000+ graduating class but don't believe any of my closer friends attend so not much point to catch up with people I didn't know back then.Wow that’s a big class!
To your point though, I don’t really remember that many people. One friend who I would love to see again passed away when we were young (19). Another friend lives in the UK. Two others I’m in touch with on FB.
The others.. .. I can’t call their names to mind.

-
Never went to a reunion. There were few people I would care to meet again.
-
Never went to a reunion. There were few people I would care to meet again.
Never went to a reunion. There were few people I would care to meet again.
What @realplayer said. Haven't been to any high school or college reunions. And I live within spittin' distance of both institutions.
-
I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?
@ShiroKuro I didn't go to one until our thirty-fifth in 2009 and have gone to three more since. They are held every 5 years. Our graduating class only had 100 students. Although I knew some classmates better than others, none of us were complete strangers to one another.
-
I went to my 20th first. I thought it would be interesting but it was actually fun. I went to 25 also. I had to miss 30 because of my transplant and they didn’t hold a 35 for some reason.
I had a big class - 780ish. I knew only a small percentage but I still find a dozen or more people worth catching up with. I’ll keep coming to them.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login