Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. It’ll just be me and a bunch of old people

It’ll just be me and a bunch of old people

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
16 Posts 9 Posters 53 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • K
    K
    kluurs
    wrote last edited by
    #5

    Yup - old people. A bunch of college friends suggested getting together for lunch. I was thinking, "that will be nice. There are a lot of restaurants i'd like to try." Email came back with the restaurant selected - "Mother's Day Restaurant." Now, I realize that does sound awfully highfalutin - but sadly, you'd be mistaken. My first thought after hearing the selection was "that's a restaurant for old people." Second thought: "You are an old person." Third thought, "I was a little embarrassed years back when my parents wanted to go there." The circle of personal humiliation has come full circle. Oh yes, it was everything I remembered - except now... I belong.

    R 1 Reply Last reply
    😁
    • DougGD
      DougGD
      DougG
      wrote last edited by
      #6

      The most uncomfortable thing about this sort of event to me is I worry about making everyone jealous about the fact that I still look like a 30-year-old Greek God.

      1 Reply Last reply
      • K kluurs

        Yup - old people. A bunch of college friends suggested getting together for lunch. I was thinking, "that will be nice. There are a lot of restaurants i'd like to try." Email came back with the restaurant selected - "Mother's Day Restaurant." Now, I realize that does sound awfully highfalutin - but sadly, you'd be mistaken. My first thought after hearing the selection was "that's a restaurant for old people." Second thought: "You are an old person." Third thought, "I was a little embarrassed years back when my parents wanted to go there." The circle of personal humiliation has come full circle. Oh yes, it was everything I remembered - except now... I belong.

        R
        R
        RealPlayer
        wrote last edited by
        #7

        @kluurs there are indeed restaurants that have an old-person vibe. When I was in my 20s in San Francisco there was Sears Fine Foods near the Powell St. cable car. Plush décor, banquettes, white tablecloths, older patrons, an air of formality. Still loved going there, even though I was just a hippie kid. There was a posh hotel on Market St. that had sumptuous breakfasts amid chandeliers (surprised they served us in our countercultural attire).

        1 Reply Last reply
        • ShiroKuroS
          ShiroKuroS
          ShiroKuro
          wrote last edited by
          #8

          I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?

          K B 2 Replies Last reply
          • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

            I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?

            K
            K
            kluurs
            wrote last edited by
            #9

            @ShiroKuro said:

            I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?

            Nope. We had a 1000+ graduating class but don't believe any of my closer friends attend so not much point to catch up with people I didn't know back then.

            ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
            • JodiJ
              JodiJ
              Jodi
              wrote last edited by Jodi
              #10

              I went to my 10th and my 30th. My 50th is next year. I would go if it was an easy and short trip, but it’s not. Not sure my back will hold up for that much sitting on airplanes, and the weather doesn’t always cooperated flying through O’Hare that time of year.

              1 Reply Last reply
              • K kluurs

                @ShiroKuro said:

                I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?

                Nope. We had a 1000+ graduating class but don't believe any of my closer friends attend so not much point to catch up with people I didn't know back then.

                ShiroKuroS
                ShiroKuroS
                ShiroKuro
                wrote last edited by ShiroKuro
                #11

                @kluurs said:
                Nope. We had a 1000+ graduating class but don't believe any of my closer friends attend so not much point to catch up with people I didn't know back then.

                Wow that’s a big class!

                To your point though, I don’t really remember that many people. One friend who I would love to see again passed away when we were young (19). Another friend lives in the UK. Two others I’m in touch with on FB.

                The others.. .. I can’t call their names to mind. 😅

                1 Reply Last reply
                • R
                  R
                  RealPlayer
                  wrote last edited by
                  #12

                  Never went to a reunion. There were few people I would care to meet again.

                  wtgW 1 Reply Last reply
                  • R RealPlayer

                    Never went to a reunion. There were few people I would care to meet again.

                    wtgW
                    wtgW
                    wtg
                    wrote last edited by
                    #13

                    @RealPlayer said:

                    Never went to a reunion. There were few people I would care to meet again.

                    What @realplayer said. Haven't been to any high school or college reunions. And I live within spittin' distance of both institutions.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                      I have never attended a HS reunion. Has anyone else here gone? Does anyone go regularly?

                      B
                      B
                      Bernard
                      wrote last edited by Bernard
                      #14

                      @ShiroKuro I didn't go to one until our thirty-fifth in 2009 and have gone to three more since. They are held every 5 years. Our graduating class only had 100 students. Although I knew some classmates better than others, none of us were complete strangers to one another.

                      The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                      ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                      • J
                        J
                        jon-nyc
                        wrote last edited by
                        #15

                        I went to my 20th first. I thought it would be interesting but it was actually fun. I went to 25 also. I had to miss 30 because of my transplant and they didn’t hold a 35 for some reason.

                        I had a big class - 780ish. I knew only a small percentage but I still find a dozen or more people worth catching up with. I’ll keep coming to them.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • B Bernard

                          @ShiroKuro I didn't go to one until our thirty-fifth in 2009 and have gone to three more since. They are held every 5 years. Our graduating class only had 100 students. Although I knew some classmates better than others, none of us were complete strangers to one another.

                          ShiroKuroS
                          ShiroKuroS
                          ShiroKuro
                          wrote last edited by
                          #16

                          @Bernard said:

                          Our graduating class only had 100 students.

                          That's really nice! I bet the reunions are fun!

                          @jon-nyc that's great!

                          If I could easily get to one, I might try it, but I live far away now.

                          1 Reply Last reply

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          Reply
                          • Reply as topic
                          Log in to reply
                          • Oldest to Newest
                          • Newest to Oldest
                          • Most Votes


                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                          • Login

                          • Don't have an account? Register

                          • Login or register to search.
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          0
                          • Categories
                          • Recent
                          • Tags
                          • Popular
                          • Users
                          • Groups