Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. PSA: Your phone charger block can burn down your house

PSA: Your phone charger block can burn down your house

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
7 Posts 5 Posters 42 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • D
    D
    Daniel
    wrote last edited by
    #1

    Apparently, a phone charger blocks takes current from the socket and then has the job of big time reducing it so it can power your phone.

    Long story short, phone charger blocks have a difficult job. It's not a 1:1 transfer or energy or even close. This causes heat. So, phone charger blocks can and often do melt down and/ or explode.

    I personally knowing what I do now would not leave one plugged in at night after I went to sleep and wouldn't leave one plugged in if I left the house.

    Clearly you can't extinguish flames if you're asleep or gone.

    I was a little bit surprised by this but it's a fact.

    In a similar way, a power strip does nothing to increase the power generated by the electrical outlet where it is plugged in.

    So, if a power strip has for example 6 electrical outlets, you're still getting the available power of 1.

    If there are technical specifications involved, but the bottom line is that apparently you can easily overload a power strip. If you do, it too can and they often do also melt down and/ or explode in flames.

    I've stopped leaving my phone charger blocks plugged in unless I'm using them.

    I'm considering turning my charging strips off when I leave the house.

    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

    1 Reply Last reply
    • J
      J
      jon-nyc
      wrote last edited by
      #2

      I leave mine plugged in though I’m aware the transformer uses power even when I’m not there. I avoid cheaper chargers though. I think almost all of mine are Apple.

      ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
      • AndyDA
        AndyDA
        AndyD
        wrote last edited by
        #3

        Our wall sockets have chargers
        12948.jpg

        Ventosa viri restabit

        1 Reply Last reply
        • R
          R
          RealPlayer
          wrote last edited by
          #4

          Somewhere I read that it’s best to unplug them even if your phone is not plugged into the other end. (Speaking of charging cables here.)

          1 Reply Last reply
          • J jon-nyc

            I leave mine plugged in though I’m aware the transformer uses power even when I’m not there. I avoid cheaper chargers though. I think almost all of mine are Apple.

            ShiroKuroS
            ShiroKuroS
            ShiroKuro
            wrote last edited by
            #5

            @jon-nyc said:

            I think almost all of mine are Apple.

            Same. I also make sure never to use a non-Apple wall plug in particular, since it seems like the generic ones get hot, and that's never good.

            1 Reply Last reply
            • D
              D
              Daniel
              wrote last edited by
              #6

              AI said brand matching is best. After that, you have to research.

              The power strips in this house were 40 years old.

              One was the deep kind that fit a certain type of plug with a long third round part as well as the usual two. It was ancient.

              I got them all replaced except this last one.

              I poked a whole in one of my new ones with my index finger trying to plug something in. So that had to be replaced.

              All stand quality. Not UL, but the other certification, I forget the initials.

              Today I said to hell with it and threw the ancient (and probably expensive to replace) in the garbage.

              I view fire safety like security protocols.

              I still have more things to get done.

              I still haven't escaped out my bedroom closet trap door.

              I'm afraid of getting it open and not being able to shut it again.

              But I'll figure it out.

              Experiencing the hurricane/ 1st Lahaina fire made a negative impression on me I'll remember.

              'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

              1 Reply Last reply
              • AndyDA
                AndyDA
                AndyD
                wrote last edited by AndyD
                #7

                It's the same risk with all cheaper non brand chargers and batteries for all electrics.
                I've had a non brand Makita drill battery literally explode. And a camera battery charger smoke a little and fail.

                We do use various cables however.

                Ventosa viri restabit

                1 Reply Last reply

                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                Register Login
                Reply
                • Reply as topic
                Log in to reply
                • Oldest to Newest
                • Newest to Oldest
                • Most Votes


                Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                • Login

                • Don't have an account? Register

                • Login or register to search.
                • First post
                  Last post
                0
                • Categories
                • Recent
                • Tags
                • Popular
                • Users
                • Groups