Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Thanks a lot, *ssh*le

Thanks a lot, *ssh*le

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
25 Posts 14 Posters 318 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • S
    S
    Steve Miller
    wrote last edited by
    #13

    😕

    1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    • Big_AlB
      Big_AlB
      Big_Al
      wrote last edited by
      #14

      Bad news. The past 2nd Trump term has seemed to me to have been like being in the trenches during a mortar barrage. Some hit at a distance and you count yourself lucky. Some hit nearby and you know where it hit. Some land on someone you know and wounds or kills them. You just wonder if one had has our name on it.

      Big Al

      Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

      Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

      A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

      ShiroKuroS D 2 Replies Last reply
      • Big_AlB Big_Al

        Bad news. The past 2nd Trump term has seemed to me to have been like being in the trenches during a mortar barrage. Some hit at a distance and you count yourself lucky. Some hit nearby and you know where it hit. Some land on someone you know and wounds or kills them. You just wonder if one had has our name on it.

        Big Al

        ShiroKuroS
        ShiroKuroS
        ShiroKuro
        wrote last edited by
        #15

        @Big_Al said:

        The past 2nd Trump term has seemed to me to have been like being in the trenches during a mortar barrage. Some hit at a distance and you count yourself lucky. Some hit nearby and you know where it hit. Some land on someone you know and wounds or kills them. You just wonder if one had has our name on it.

        Sadly, this feels very, very accurate as a way to describe how things are!

        1 Reply Last reply
        • Big_AlB Big_Al

          Bad news. The past 2nd Trump term has seemed to me to have been like being in the trenches during a mortar barrage. Some hit at a distance and you count yourself lucky. Some hit nearby and you know where it hit. Some land on someone you know and wounds or kills them. You just wonder if one had has our name on it.

          Big Al

          D
          D
          Daniel
          wrote last edited by
          #16

          @Big_Al said:

          Bad news. The past 2nd Trump term has seemed to me to have been like being in the trenches during a mortar barrage. Some hit at a distance and you count yourself lucky. Some hit nearby and you know where it hit. Some land on someone you know and wounds or kills them. You just wonder if one had has our name on it.

          Big Al

          What a perfect description.

          'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

          1 Reply Last reply
          • MikM
            MikM
            Mik
            wrote last edited by
            #17

            There's another side to this. I don't know about any of the programs mentioned here, but I've been working in medical research for four years and there is a whole lot of research that, knowing what is available in hospital information systems, is doomed from the start. Cannot possibly produce the expected result. The data simply does not exist. Maybe the vetting process needs to be looked at from an IT perspective.

            I hate to see it affect my friends, but there are two sides to that coin.

            “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
            ― Douglas Adams

            1 Reply Last reply
            • C
              C
              CHAS
              wrote last edited by
              #18

              Don't think the headline many want to see will come this month. sigh

              "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

              • Twyla Tharp
              1 Reply Last reply
              • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                Well, it finally happened to me. I knew it would happen eventually. You-know-who axed a grant program I had applied to. They were supposed to announce the results at the beginning of September. As the days came and went and there was no announcement, I started to suspect this would happen.

                He announced a new “pocket rescission" package on Friday. Although the announcement doesn’t name the program we applied to, apparently it’s been canceled because it’s in the “Ed funding for woke international education” category, listed here:

                https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/2026/09/president-trump-takes-historic-action-to-eliminate-wasteful-and-harmful-spending/

                I spent the better part of the summer preparing this grant application, I am (was) the project lead for this project that would have had a 6-digit figure budget (a huge and ambitious project in my field, which doesn’t need expensive equipment or labs, so project funding is generally much more modest than in stem fields, so the project we proposed was a huge deal and would have been a sizing for the research I do).

                I would rather have had the project rejected than the entire program canceled because of this *sshat’s idiotic policies.

                I knew we shouldn’t have applied for a federal grant under this administration. What a huge f*cking waste of time that was.

                Dammit.

                D
                D
                Daniel
                wrote last edited by Daniel
                #19

                SK,

                I am very sorry this happened and especially after all the work you did in preparation as the lead and considering the size and scope of the project in your field.

                "Woke" was the pretext for a different Republican politician ruining my alma mater beyond recognition.

                Again, I am very sorry.

                'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                • D Daniel

                  SK,

                  I am very sorry this happened and especially after all the work you did in preparation as the lead and considering the size and scope of the project in your field.

                  "Woke" was the pretext for a different Republican politician ruining my alma mater beyond recognition.

                  Again, I am very sorry.

                  ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuro
                  wrote last edited by
                  #20

                  @Daniel thank you. It’s really frustrating.

                  Also, would you mind editing your post so that it doesn’t quote me like that? I might want to go back and delete this in the future, since it’s kind of personal.

                  Thank you in advance!

                  AxtremusA 1 Reply Last reply
                  • ShiroKuroS ShiroKuro

                    @Daniel thank you. It’s really frustrating.

                    Also, would you mind editing your post so that it doesn’t quote me like that? I might want to go back and delete this in the future, since it’s kind of personal.

                    Thank you in advance!

                    AxtremusA
                    AxtremusA
                    Axtremus
                    wrote last edited by
                    #21

                    @ShiroKuro said:

                    I might want to go back and delete this in the future, since it’s kind of personal.

                    Darn, after reading what @mik posted earlier, I was ready to ask you to post your grant application here so we can judge whether your proposal is worthy of our hard earned tax dollars (as opposed to those woke carp doomed-to-fail-from-the-start projects that @mik wrote about). I guess that won’t happen now. 🤷

                    ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                    • MikM
                      MikM
                      Mik
                      wrote last edited by
                      #22

                      I just got assigned to a newly NIH funded study yesterday, so there has to some sort of winnowing going on.

                      “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
                      ― Douglas Adams

                      ShiroKuroS 2 Replies Last reply
                      • AxtremusA Axtremus

                        @ShiroKuro said:

                        I might want to go back and delete this in the future, since it’s kind of personal.

                        Darn, after reading what @mik posted earlier, I was ready to ask you to post your grant application here so we can judge whether your proposal is worthy of our hard earned tax dollars (as opposed to those woke carp doomed-to-fail-from-the-start projects that @mik wrote about). I guess that won’t happen now. 🤷

                        ShiroKuroS
                        ShiroKuroS
                        ShiroKuro
                        wrote last edited by
                        #23

                        @Axtremus 🤣 🤣 🤣

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • MikM Mik

                          I just got assigned to a newly NIH funded study yesterday, so there has to some sort of winnowing going on.

                          ShiroKuroS
                          ShiroKuroS
                          ShiroKuro
                          wrote last edited by
                          #24

                          @Mik said:

                          some sort of winnowing going on

                          I feel like that's some next-level euphamizing to describe the way Trump operates.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • MikM Mik

                            I just got assigned to a newly NIH funded study yesterday, so there has to some sort of winnowing going on.

                            ShiroKuroS
                            ShiroKuroS
                            ShiroKuro
                            wrote last edited by ShiroKuro
                            #25

                            @Mik BTW don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for you that yours was funded. Any studies getting funded in this admin should be celebrated.

                            But there is (was) a vetting process in place. Trump just ignored it, the way he ignores everything and just does what he wants.

                            So I wouldn't call that winnowing.

                            1 Reply Last reply

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            Reply
                            • Reply as topic
                            Log in to reply
                            • Oldest to Newest
                            • Newest to Oldest
                            • Most Votes


                            Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                            • Login

                            • Don't have an account? Register

                            • Login or register to search.
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Categories
                            • Recent
                            • Tags
                            • Popular
                            • Users
                            • Groups