Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Written English, Misc.

Written English, Misc.

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
13 Posts 7 Posters 230 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • AndyDA
    AndyDA
    AndyD
    wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Sometimes you almost need an English translator:

    "Bear with, I'm cubing to improve my performability"

    Nails, blackboard

    Ventosa viri restabit

    S 1 Reply Last reply
    • AndyDA AndyD

      Sometimes you almost need an English translator:

      "Bear with, I'm cubing to improve my performability"

      Nails, blackboard

      S
      S
      Steve Miller
      wrote on last edited by
      #5

      @AndyD

      Yikes! What does that even mean?

      1 Reply Last reply
      • C
        C
        CHAS
        wrote on last edited by
        #6

        I usually manage to leave when people speak their own private languages.

        Illegitimi non carborundum

        1 Reply Last reply
        • D
          D
          Daniel
          wrote on last edited by
          #7

          As well you should.

          'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

          1 Reply Last reply
          • D
            D
            Daniel
            wrote last edited by Daniel
            #8

            @andyd This reminds me. "Gifting" is actually a word that is one of my pet peeves.

            Yes, a lot of people like this word, and so many people use it that it's English today.

            Yes, most of us here use it.

            I know.

            But I'm not sure how long it will last, or in other words, I don't think it will last. I give it 10 years.

            But who knows.

            Anyway...

            You give a gift.

            So what this word means after you take it apart and put it together again is:

            You gift a gift.

            On a different note, one of my best critics said of my English the following:

            "Educated speech has an unusual robotic quality."

            I concluded that this person had a limited intelligence, poor social awareness, and a lack of social experience.

            I guess I had the option of thinking "FU" but it was such a unique and amusing comment.

            'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

            1 Reply Last reply
            • B
              B
              Bernard
              wrote last edited by
              #9

              And no flies! It’s so bona to vada you! Your lovely eek and your riah! Sharda that we don’t palare more often!

              The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

              1 Reply Last reply
              • AndyDA
                AndyDA
                AndyD
                wrote last edited by
                #10

                Gifting could be replaced with presenting.
                So you'd present a present.

                Ventosa viri restabit

                1 Reply Last reply
                • ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuroS
                  ShiroKuro
                  wrote last edited by ShiroKuro
                  #11

                  I have always hated “gifted” ever since I first heard it verbed. Like when someone uses it in the “she gifted me this book” sense.

                  For some reason it sounds less personal to me, like the receiver doesn’t actually have a relationship with the gift giver.

                  Separate from that I generally like verbing.

                  It all depends on the noun that gets verbed.

                  😅

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  • R
                    R
                    RealPlayer
                    wrote last edited by
                    #12

                    And then, of course, there’s REgifting.

                    ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                    • R RealPlayer

                      And then, of course, there’s REgifting.

                      ShiroKuroS
                      ShiroKuroS
                      ShiroKuro
                      wrote last edited by
                      #13

                      @RealPlayer said:

                      REgifting.

                      So, that word does not bug me.... well, as long as it's used as a gerund 😄

                      If someone says "Remember that book that Mark gifted me? I regifted it to Sue" then all bets are off.

                      1 Reply Last reply

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                      • Login

                      • Don't have an account? Register

                      • Login or register to search.
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Categories
                      • Recent
                      • Tags
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Groups