How Costco became a 'third place'
-
I read the article.
I’ve seen McDonald’s where older men gather mid morning for breakfast. Seems like a decent place for it, casual, not crowded at that hour, and budget friendly. Those that don’t want to spend the money for breakfast can eat at home and grab a coffee with their mates.
-
@ShiroKuro I agree! I don't know how a Costco warehouse is supposed to function as a third place where people can gather and socialize. If you tried to have a conversation in an aisle, people would be irritated that they couldn't get past you with their carts, and I actually wouldn't blame them. It's not set up as a place to hang out.
Even the food area is crowded and loud. We just get our hot dogs and go, which is fine for what we want to do, but it's not where you'd chit-chat with friends.
@ShiroKuro I agree! I don't know how a Costco warehouse is supposed to function as a third place where people can gather and socialize. If you tried to have a conversation in an aisle, people would be irritated that they couldn't get past you with their carts, and I actually wouldn't blame them. It's not set up as a place to hang out.
Even the food area is crowded and loud. We just get our hot dogs and go, which is fine for what we want to do, but it's not where you'd chit-chat with friends.
@shirokuro +2
It's the "warehouse feel". I think you nailed it.
Yeah but, don't get me started on what was better in the '70's.
Sigh.
-
-
-
Is it a 'safe space'? (Sort of kidding)
I don't think so myself unless you're traveling in a pack.
@jodi I remember your posts about Costco. Yikes.
Btw, speaking of warehouse stores, I have an acquaintance who got crushed and mangled by a loading door at Publix. He couldn't work after this.
I just want a 'human scale'.
My house is a huge, heavy, structure with a cathedral ceiling.
This means my bedroom ceiling is 12'.
This is 4' higher than my bedroom in my old place.
I feel very comfortable with it, but it's talking to get used to...
My favorite Martha Stewart quote (during one of her K Mart adds)-
"Think of your back your backyard as a living room with a very high ceiling".
-
Ok so I went back and read the article. Good article, especially the photos. Meeting places are important. Costco wouldn’t be mine, it’s an hour plus through mountain passes to get there. I really wish it was closer. The meeting place I really miss is the little cafe where we lived in Maine called Doris’s. It was the Saturday morning place everyone went, it was always crowded, and you saw everyone. We went every Saturday, it helped us feel like we belonged to that tiny town with families that had lived there forever. Great food, lots of laughter. So important.
-
Ok so I went back and read the article. Good article, especially the photos. Meeting places are important. Costco wouldn’t be mine, it’s an hour plus through mountain passes to get there. I really wish it was closer. The meeting place I really miss is the little cafe where we lived in Maine called Doris’s. It was the Saturday morning place everyone went, it was always crowded, and you saw everyone. We went every Saturday, it helped us feel like we belonged to that tiny town with families that had lived there forever. Great food, lots of laughter. So important.
The meeting place I really miss is the little cafe where we lived in Maine called Doris’s. It was the Saturday morning place everyone went, it was always crowded, and you saw everyone. We went every Saturday, it helped us feel like we belonged to that tiny town with families that had lived there forever. Great food, lots of laughter. So important.
I long for a place like that. I wonder if we could find a cafe like that around here.
The trouble is, we don’t really drink coffee (I have one cup at 6am and that’s it) and I’m trying to avoid sugary things. So what would we do at a cafe.
And that’s probably why we don’t have any friends here.
-
It helped that it was a town of 4000 people. Small towns and everybody wants to know your business, lol. We tried a breakfast place when we moved here to Butte (35-ish thousand) but it wasn’t the same. But the art gallery and the ceramics studio (which are in the same building) have become meeting place for me. We do first friday openings every month, so now when I go places uptown (like the farmer’s market) I run into a lot of people I know. Much harder in larger cities unless you have some sort of neighborhood gathering place.
-
It helped that it was a town of 4000 people. Small towns and everybody wants to know your business, lol. We tried a breakfast place when we moved here to Butte (35-ish thousand) but it wasn’t the same. But the art gallery and the ceramics studio (which are in the same building) have become meeting place for me. We do first friday openings every month, so now when I go places uptown (like the farmer’s market) I run into a lot of people I know. Much harder in larger cities unless you have some sort of neighborhood gathering place.
But the art gallery and the ceramics studio (which are in the same building) have become meeting place for me. We do first friday openings every month, so now when I go places uptown (like the farmer’s market) I run into a lot of people I know.
That's really nice! My problem is, all I do is work and play the piano...

We've lived here since summer 2023, and really have very few local connections. Thankfully there are people we've connected with through my job, but lately I've really been feeling the lack of a community. Work friends aren't quite the same...
Much harder in larger cities unless you have some sort of neighborhood gathering place.
Yeah, this town's not that big, but it's certainly bigger than 4000 people!
-
Jodi, your meeting places sound ideal. Here, the island is 500,000 people, so it’s regional. There are a few long-established bars/restaurants and a few coffeehouses that have a following…one of which is run by a 60s-ish commune with requisite decor. One of the bars is where the local politicos gather for the St. Pat’s parade and you do get the local flavor.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login