Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Meta-thread: Word association thread

Meta-thread: Word association thread

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
51 Posts 10 Posters 1.8k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • DougGD
    DougGD
    DougG
    wrote on last edited by
    #18

    So I make a post to the word association thread, and the first phrase WTG thinks of is “dim wit”.

    unfortunately, I’m not smart enough to figure out if I should be offended…

    1 Reply Last reply
    🤣
    • wtgW
      wtgW
      wtg
      wrote on last edited by
      #19

      @DougG 🤣

      1 Reply Last reply
      • DougGD
        DougGD
        DougG
        wrote on last edited by
        #20

        dang it. I don’t think there are any words that any of us could possibly think of that rhyme with “shucks.”

        ShiroKuroS C B 3 Replies Last reply
        • DougGD DougG

          dang it. I don’t think there are any words that any of us could possibly think of that rhyme with “shucks.”

          ShiroKuroS
          ShiroKuroS
          ShiroKuro
          wrote on last edited by
          #21

          @DougG certainly not me, I don’t have a word for that…

          1 Reply Last reply
          • DougGD DougG

            dang it. I don’t think there are any words that any of us could possibly think of that rhyme with “shucks.”

            C
            C
            CHAS
            wrote on last edited by
            #22

            @DougG Had the word. It was on the tip of my tongue. Sadly, I _______ lost it.

            Illegitimi non carborundum

            1 Reply Last reply
            😊
            • DougGD DougG

              dang it. I don’t think there are any words that any of us could possibly think of that rhyme with “shucks.”

              B
              B
              Bernard
              wrote on last edited by
              #23

              @DougG Oh I have one... schmucks.

              The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

              1 Reply Last reply
              • J
                J
                jon-nyc
                wrote on last edited by jon-nyc
                #24

                My autocorrect is always suggesting ‘ducks’ but I don’t know if that’s actually a word.

                1 Reply Last reply
                • DougGD
                  DougGD
                  DougG
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #25

                  Great, now Jon’s last post expects me to come up with a rhyme for “lits”.

                  I’m pretty sure there isn’t one. Could this be the end of the word association thread?

                  J wtgW 2 Replies Last reply
                  • ShiroKuroS
                    ShiroKuroS
                    ShiroKuro
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #26

                    @dougg it doesn't have to rhyme (I know you know that... 😄

                    More importantly, I didn't know the term wagon lit.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • DougGD DougG

                      Great, now Jon’s last post expects me to come up with a rhyme for “lits”.

                      I’m pretty sure there isn’t one. Could this be the end of the word association thread?

                      J
                      J
                      jon-nyc
                      wrote on last edited by jon-nyc
                      #27

                      @DougG said:

                      Great, now Jon’s last post expects me to come up with a rhyme for “lits”.

                      I’m pretty sure there isn’t one. Could this be the end of the word association thread?

                      🤣

                      It’s pronounced “lee” if that helps

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • DougGD DougG

                        Great, now Jon’s last post expects me to come up with a rhyme for “lits”.

                        I’m pretty sure there isn’t one. Could this be the end of the word association thread?

                        wtgW
                        wtgW
                        wtg
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #28

                        @DougG said:

                        Great, now Jon’s last post expects me to come up with a rhyme for “lits”.

                        I’m pretty sure there isn’t one. Could this be the end of the word association thread?

                        😁 😁 😁

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • AndyDA
                          AndyDA
                          AndyD
                          wrote on last edited by AndyD
                          #29

                          Dakota - Dad

                          Immediate but obscure association...
                          One of very few WW2 experiences my Dad ever spoke about. He was RAF regiment airfield gunner, and volunteered to 'accompany a package' (wouldn't say what).
                          So he sat in the back of a Dakota for hours, flew north across India to the Himalayan foothills. And back south again. It would have been in 1944 before we retook into Burma.
                          You could see in his face him recalling the journey and amazing views of the mountains.
                          I wonder now if the package was China-related, possibly human.

                          Ventosa viri restabit

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          👍
                          • J
                            J
                            jon-nyc
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #30

                            Interesting. For me the association was very NYC specific.

                            There’s a memorial to John Lennon in Central Park that has a big mosaic of the word ‘Imagine’. That is right in front of the Dakota building which is where he lived and where he was shot.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            👍
                            • B
                              B
                              Bernard
                              wrote on last edited by Bernard
                              #31

                              eft

                              A few posts back was not "Escape From Tarkov" or "Emotionally Focused Therapy".

                              In case there was any doubt about my meaning, an eft is one of these... I find them in the wood pile once in a while.
                              951.png

                              The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              😁
                              • AndyDA
                                AndyDA
                                AndyD
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #32

                                I googled and guessed therapy

                                Ventosa viri restabit

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                • B
                                  B
                                  Bernard
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #33

                                  Wouldn't it be cool to use the word association thread to write a story? One would have to add a sentence at a time using one or more words from the thread--in order, starting with post number one. I guess navigating the thread and keeping track of the current word/post number would be tricky though.

                                  The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  👍
                                  • ShiroKuroS
                                    ShiroKuroS
                                    ShiroKuro
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #34

                                    Another fun thing about the thread is when a word pops up that you know/recognize but never use or rarely see.

                                    "Vainglorious" is one of those words.

                                    the thread sort of reminds you "oh yeah, that word." There are lots of fun words in English!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    • DougGD
                                      DougGD
                                      DougG
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #35

                                      unfortunately, the technical banking expression “glad you owe us” is more than one word, or I would’ve used it as a response to gladiolus…

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      😁 😂
                                      • D
                                        D
                                        Daniel
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #36

                                        @shirokuro The word I was looking for was "Nelson"!

                                        Foiled again!

                                        'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        👍
                                        • D
                                          D
                                          Daniel
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #37

                                          And there's a rule about not using proper nouns? That's not fun. A word is a word.

                                          'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups