Can someone who knows Zoom...
-
please fill me in on this? I haven't done it. I'd like to know how it works.
If the instructions given were-
Date
Time
Password
Meeting # (iirc-?)And it I knew nothing about Zoom (I don't actually),
where would I start?
For instance, do I need software to download?
Please help!
I have a Zoom meeting that's scheduled for next week.
I want to make sure I'm "there" for one thing.
I can't not be. I'm very stressed because of this and because I don't know what I'm doing...
There are the the added complications that I have to do this on my phone (my tablet is in for repairs, I want to be able to see each of the participants speaking, and I don't want to accidentally hang up (so easy to do with a glass display phone).
This one is important. The lead is a County judge.
-
You really need to get with AI. I asked Gemini:
"Can you create a Zoom primer for a friend of mine who has never used it? I assume he wants to initiate calls."
The answer:
Here is a quick-start beginner guide you can forward directly to your friend. It covers downloading the app, scheduling or launching a meeting, and managing essential controls during the call.
Beginner’s Guide to Hosting Your First Zoom Call
Hosting a Zoom meeting is straightforward once you know where the main buttons live. You don't need a paid account to start—the free Zoom account lets you host 1-on-1 calls with no time limit, and group calls for up to 40 minutes.
-
Create Your Free Account & Download Zoom: Prerequisite before hosting.
-
Go to zoom.us on your computer or open the App Store / Google Play Store on your phone/tablet.
-
Click Sign Up, It's Free and create an account using your email address.
-
Download and install the Zoom Workplace app (also called the Zoom desktop client). Launching calls from the installed app is much smoother than using a web browser.
-
Start an Instant Meeting or Schedule One for Later:
Option A: Start Right Now
- Open the Zoom app and sign in.
- Click the orange New Meeting button. Your video preview will open immediately.
Option B: Schedule for Later
- Click the Schedule (calendar icon) button on the main screen.
- Set the date, time, and topic, then click Save.
- Copy the meeting invitation link provided and send it to your guest(s) via email or text.
- Invite People to an Active Call:
If you started an instant meeting and need to invite someone while inside the room:
- Click the Participants button at the bottom toolbar of your meeting window.
- Click Invite at the bottom of the pane.
- Click Copy Invite Link, then paste and send that link to your friend via email, text, or message.
- Master Key In-Call Controls:
Once your guest clicks the link and joins, keep these essential controls in mind on the bottom toolbar:
- Mute / Unmute (Microphone icon): Toggles your audio. If people can't hear you, click the arrow
^next to it to make sure the correct microphone/speaker is selected. - Start / Stop Video (Camera icon): Toggles your webcam feed.
- Chat (Speech bubble): Opens a side panel to type text messages or share links.
- Share Screen (Green icon): Allows you to share your computer screen, specific app window, or photos with everyone on the call.
- End (Red button): When finished, click End -> End Meeting for All.
3 Helpful Tips for First-Time Hosts
- Test Your Audio/Video First: When you click New Meeting, Zoom usually prompts you to "Test Speaker and Microphone." Run through that 10-second check to verify your sound works before your guest arrives.
- Use Speaker View vs. Gallery View: In the top-right corner of the video window, click View. Choose Gallery to see everyone in a side-by-side grid, or Speaker to automatically highlight whoever is actively talking.
- Check the Waiting Room: By default, Zoom places arriving guests into a virtual "Waiting Room." When a pop-up appears at the top or side of your screen saying someone has entered, simply click Admit to let them into the call.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login