Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Mildly Interesting - People

Mildly Interesting - People

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
42 Posts 10 Posters 1.7k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • AxtremusA
    AxtremusA
    Axtremus
    wrote on last edited by
    #21

    https://www.nbcnews.com/world/africa/sudan-civil-war-south-abyei-cataracts-operations-american-surgeon-rcna589629

    Medical team traveled to war torn region and performed 1000+ cataract surgeries in 10 days.

    1 Reply Last reply
    • J
      J
      jon-nyc
      wrote on last edited by jon-nyc
      #22

      Most amazing beat boxer you’ve ever heard.

      https://x.com/jayroo69/status/2086192986929373462?s=20

      C 1 Reply Last reply
      • J
        J
        jon-nyc
        wrote on last edited by
        #23

        Pig squealing contest in France.

        https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/2087431388253524443/video/1?s=46

        1 Reply Last reply
        • AndyDA
          AndyDA
          AndyD
          wrote on last edited by
          #24

          What animals kills most humans each year, ranked 1-8
          Guess what number 8 is an how many of us it kills annually:

          9691.jpg

          Ventosa viri restabit

          1 Reply Last reply
          • J
            J
            jon-nyc
            wrote on last edited by jon-nyc
            #25

            Tsetse flies? Should be in the top five I would think

            Unless 1 is supposed to represent all insects

            1 Reply Last reply
            • AndyDA
              AndyDA
              AndyD
              wrote on last edited by
              #26

              Nope.
              Number one is (female) mosquitos who spread malaria.
              Two is people killing people.
              Four is dogs & rabies.

              Ventosa viri restabit

              1 Reply Last reply
              • J jon-nyc

                Most amazing beat boxer you’ve ever heard.

                https://x.com/jayroo69/status/2086192986929373462?s=20

                C
                C
                CHAS
                wrote on last edited by
                #27

                @jon-nyc WOW

                Illegitimi non carborundum

                1 Reply Last reply
                • B
                  B
                  Bernard
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #28
                  This post is deleted!
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  • AndyDA
                    AndyDA
                    AndyD
                    wrote on last edited by AndyD
                    #29

                    Number 8 is sharks, they kill less than ten people a year.

                    Ok its not a perfect list.
                    Hippos getting 500 was a surprise, I know they are perpetually irritable animals, but who ventures close enough to such a big angry thing 😜

                    Ventosa viri restabit

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • AndyDA AndyD

                      Good for them.
                      But McDonald's sucks. Plasticky food in inadequate buns with salty fries.
                      Vanilla milkshakes being the exception, slurp slurp.

                      I had my first taste of their food(I use the word loosely) in my late 20's and it has always been my least liked takeaway.
                      I usually try their 'special' burgers...
                      so Thursday evening having been out, we roll into the drivethru, to be told the heatwave means their shake machine ain't working(?) so I get a Big Arch.
                      Arrives looking a pale shadow of the photo and after a couple of bites turns to mushy cheesy bits ensuring my shirt, trousers and car all need a wash.
                      I just wanted a cold vanilla milkshake.

                      Thankfully MrsA usually prefers KFC. We get a boneless bucket, and I repeat my joke about the bucket coming in useful if the food makes us feel icky.
                      We don't go often. So many better options on which to spend your £20.
                      Burger King 😆

                      D
                      D
                      Daniel
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #30

                      @AndyD said:

                      Good for them.
                      But McDonald's sucks. Plasticky food in inadequate buns with salty fries.
                      Vanilla milkshakes being the exception, slurp slurp.

                      I had my first taste of their food(I use the word loosely) in my late 20's and it has always been my least liked takeaway.
                      I usually try their 'special' burgers...
                      so Thursday evening having been out, we roll into the drivethru, to be told the heatwave means their shake machine ain't working(?) so I get a Big Arch.
                      Arrives looking a pale shadow of the photo and after a couple of bites turns to mushy cheesy bits ensuring my shirt, trousers and car all need a wash.
                      I just wanted a cold vanilla milkshake.

                      Thankfully MrsA usually prefers KFC. We get a boneless bucket, and I repeat my joke about the bucket coming in useful if the food makes us feel icky.
                      We don't go often. So many better options on which to spend your £20.
                      Burger King 😆

                      100% agree about McDonald's.

                      Correlation does not imply causation.

                      'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • AndyDA
                        AndyDA
                        AndyD
                        wrote on last edited by AndyD
                        #31

                        Name the mildly interesting person (for Mark at least?) who built the following; may be a bit too local and antique, so where the heck was Andy:

                        10235.jpg 10234.jpg

                        Ventosa viri restabit

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • AndyDA
                          AndyDA
                          AndyD
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #32

                          10232.jpg

                          Ventosa viri restabit

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • AndyDA
                            AndyDA
                            AndyD
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #33

                            It's an astronomy observatory, built around 1750 by Thomas Wright, who was first to describe the Milky Way as many galaxies.

                            Now surrounded by the small village of Westeron.
                            Thomas Wright attended the same school as me (as did the young Stan Laurel for a year or two).

                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Wright_(astronomer)

                            Ventosa viri restabit

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            • D
                              D
                              Daniel
                              wrote on last edited by Daniel
                              #34

                              Fascinating, Andy!

                              (And I wish I could have an observatory, it sounds like heaven, but if I could, Florida has too much light pollution to star gaze, most everywhere in the state now.)

                              'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • AndyDA
                                AndyDA
                                AndyD
                                wrote on last edited by AndyD
                                #35

                                'How do I love Thee? Let me count the ways.'

                                So after taking my sister to a chiropractor yesterday, she suggests "Shall we go see that pretty church in Kelloe on the way back?"

                                The gate was open,we drive in to find a van, church door open, and workman standing on a large window sill repairing the lead stained glass windows!

                                It is picturesque
                                https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/13544/

                                So lucky to find it open during the week; St. Helens has a truly beautiful victorian chancel
                                10603.jpg

                                The organ is from 1820
                                10601.jpg

                                There are two bells from the 1200's in the old Bell tower.
                                The knave from where I took the photos, is a rather plain rectangle and is much older being saxon, pre 1100, and the building now grade 1 listed.

                                Of more interest by the alter is
                                10600.jpg
                                a rare carved 12 century cross, (cracked & buried) found by the victorians, showing St Helen
                                10598.jpg .

                                And then we saw a simple plaque.
                                'Elizabeth Barrett-Browning, baptised in this church 1809'.
                                Just 5 miles from where we now live!
                                She was pipped to the post as our national poet laureate by Tennyson, but was incredibly popular both here & in the US. Like a handful of other poets known for a particular first line.
                                (Eg.
                                I wandered lonely as a cloud
                                or
                                The boy stood on the burning deck)
                                EBB is known for the line 'How do I love Thee...'

                                We had no idea she was a local. Her original home, nearby Coxhoe Hall is now demolished.
                                I got home & found my 1938 edition (from NYC Heritage Press) of 'Sonnets from the Portuguese'

                                10617.jpg

                                Ventosa viri restabit

                                AdagioMA 1 Reply Last reply
                                • C
                                  C
                                  CHAS
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #36

                                  Interesting. I went to the little museum in Fairplay in Southpark. They had artifacts from the 1920s. 😉
                                  Colorado got going a bit later than Westeron.

                                  Illegitimi non carborundum

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  • AndyDA
                                    AndyDA
                                    AndyD
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #37

                                    That's a really interesting museum. Love the train.
                                    We have a similar outdoor museum at Beamish. My mums old grocery store, the Coop, was moved there.

                                    Ventosa viri restabit

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    • S
                                      S
                                      Steve Miller
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #38

                                      It’s beautiful!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      • D
                                        D
                                        Daniel
                                        wrote on last edited by Daniel
                                        #39

                                        @andyd Does living in a country with all that history and its architecture, including interiors, gardens, and cultural artifacts ever "get" to you? I mean encountering it must be constant so does it ever feel like "a lot" or is it just normal to you?

                                        I went on a standard 14 day student tour to London and its surrounding attractions.

                                        I remember the Tower and Crown Jewels. I can see the crown jewels in my mind's eye any time I want by letting myself have memories that I can "re-play" at will.

                                        But that's because I like jewels.

                                        I like architecture too (clearly) but everything was ancient and at 14 it almost completely overwhelmed me.

                                        They took us on a bus tour to Oxford University. All I could see were these beautiful, ancient buildings. It kind of phased me to the point that after it was over I had to remind myself we had just visited a school.

                                        'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        • AndyDA AndyD

                                          'How do I love Thee? Let me count the ways.'

                                          So after taking my sister to a chiropractor yesterday, she suggests "Shall we go see that pretty church in Kelloe on the way back?"

                                          The gate was open,we drive in to find a van, church door open, and workman standing on a large window sill repairing the lead stained glass windows!

                                          It is picturesque
                                          https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/13544/

                                          So lucky to find it open during the week; St. Helens has a truly beautiful victorian chancel
                                          10603.jpg

                                          The organ is from 1820
                                          10601.jpg

                                          There are two bells from the 1200's in the old Bell tower.
                                          The knave from where I took the photos, is a rather plain rectangle and is much older being saxon, pre 1100, and the building now grade 1 listed.

                                          Of more interest by the alter is
                                          10600.jpg
                                          a rare carved 12 century cross, (cracked & buried) found by the victorians, showing St Helen
                                          10598.jpg .

                                          And then we saw a simple plaque.
                                          'Elizabeth Barrett-Browning, baptised in this church 1809'.
                                          Just 5 miles from where we now live!
                                          She was pipped to the post as our national poet laureate by Tennyson, but was incredibly popular both here & in the US. Like a handful of other poets known for a particular first line.
                                          (Eg.
                                          I wandered lonely as a cloud
                                          or
                                          The boy stood on the burning deck)
                                          EBB is known for the line 'How do I love Thee...'

                                          We had no idea she was a local. Her original home, nearby Coxhoe Hall is now demolished.
                                          I got home & found my 1938 edition (from NYC Heritage Press) of 'Sonnets from the Portuguese'

                                          10617.jpg

                                          AdagioMA
                                          AdagioMA
                                          AdagioM
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #40

                                          @AndyD Thanks for the tour. That’s beautiful.

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups