Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Anyone watching the Artemis II launch?

Anyone watching the Artemis II launch?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
19 Posts 9 Posters 778 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • D
    D
    Daniel
    wrote on last edited by Daniel
    #2

    I was always proud of the fact Jules Verne chose Port Tampa (a small neighborhood in Interbay where I'm from, not the port of Tampa) as the sight for the launching of his fictional moon launch. /off- topic

    Jules Verne Park at Ballast Point... - Douglas Vance Karup https://share.google/wN3SvCT1srV2MSjuL

    Edit, Correction: I'm guess this is how the exact location was attributed.

    The park is nothing to write home about. I remember the plaque, a row of parking spaces, and a small fishing pier.

    In any case, you get there by following Gandy Boulevard to the east coast of Interbay, and then taking a right turn to go south.

    Turning left on Bayshore Boulevard would lead you downtown, and making a U-turn would lead you to the Gandy Bridge and Saint Petersburg.

    If you go one block north of Gandy then you've left Interbay.

    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

    D 1 Reply Last reply
    • C
      C
      CHAS
      wrote on last edited by
      #3

      Watching, largely because I am tapering the prednisolone(prednisone) I have been taking since Dec. 1.
      Don't feel up to doing anything else.

      "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

      • Twyla Tharp
      1 Reply Last reply
      • RontunerR
        RontunerR
        Rontuner
        wrote on last edited by
        #4

        Out to eat and it was on the screen

        1 Reply Last reply
        • M
          M
          Mark
          wrote on last edited by
          #5

          Watched it. I got chills and a little emotional watching that rocket lift off to the moon.

          1 Reply Last reply
          👍
          • AndyDA
            AndyDA
            AndyD
            wrote on last edited by
            #6

            Yes, it's been a while since some truly attention worthy news, this is a day that will long be remembered.
            For me it shows what we are capable of, what we could achieve in an ideal world.

            I'm going to find the live feed mentioned

            Ventosa viri restabit

            1 Reply Last reply
            • wtgW
              wtgW
              wtg
              wrote on last edited by
              #7

              Artemis II astronaut finds two Outlook instances running on computers, calls on Houston to fix Microsoft anomaly — puzzled caller describes ‘two Outlooks, and neither one of those are working’

              Meanwhile, we are happy to learn that the toilet urine extractor fan has been fixed.

              https://www.tomshardware.com/software/microsoft-office/artemis-ii-astronaut-finds-two-outlook-instances-running-on-computers-call-on-houston-to-fix-microsoft-anomaly-puzzled-caller-describes-two-outlooks-and-neither-one-of-those-are-working

              1 Reply Last reply
              • wtgW
                wtgW
                wtg
                wrote on last edited by wtg
                #8

                Why didn't it occur to me until today that Artemis was Apollo's twin...

                Photo titled "Hello, World"

                alt text

                More here:

                https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce8jzr423p9o

                1 Reply Last reply
                • wtgW
                  wtgW
                  wtg
                  wrote on last edited by wtg
                  #9

                  This morning's wake-up call for the crew was a message recorded by Jim Lovell a couple of months before his death last year.

                  “Hello, Artemis II! This is Apollo astronaut Jim Lovell. Welcome to my old neighborhood! When Frank Borman, Bill Anders, and I orbited the Moon on Apollo 8, we got humanity’s first up-close look at the Moon and got a view of the home planet that inspired and united people around the world. I’m proud to pass that torch on to you — as you swing around the Moon and lay the groundwork for missions to Mars … for the benefit of all. It’s a historic day, and I know how busy you’ll be. But don’t forget to enjoy the view. So, Reid, Victor, Christina, and Jeremy, and all the great teams supporting you – good luck and Godspeed from all of us here on the good Earth.”

                  Jim Lovell

                  https://www.nasa.gov/blogs/missions/2026/04/06/artemis-ii-flight-day-6-crew-ready-for-lunar-flyby/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  • dolmansaxlilD
                    dolmansaxlilD
                    dolmansaxlil
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #10

                    I turned on the livestream at about 11 this morning and have had it on all day. The fly by was fascinating! Can’t wait for the photos from Artemis.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • D
                      D
                      Daniel
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #11

                      I keep seeing the name and thinking "Axemis". No idea why.

                      'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • dolmansaxlilD
                        dolmansaxlilD
                        dolmansaxlil
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #12

                        The photos the came back after the flyby yesterday are amazing. For what it’s worth, I’m ignoring every photo on social media and only trusting those directly from NASA. But they are pretty spectacular.

                        My favourite:
                        https://www.nasa.gov/image-detail/art002e009288/

                        IMG_0363.jpeg

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        👍
                        • wtgW
                          wtgW
                          wtg
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #13

                          New Artemis II astronaut iPhone video reveals new Earthset view

                          ‘Like watching sunset at the beach from the most foreign seat in the cosmos.’

                          alt text

                          https://www.popsci.com/science/artemis-ii-video/

                          S 1 Reply Last reply
                          • D Daniel

                            I was always proud of the fact Jules Verne chose Port Tampa (a small neighborhood in Interbay where I'm from, not the port of Tampa) as the sight for the launching of his fictional moon launch. /off- topic

                            Jules Verne Park at Ballast Point... - Douglas Vance Karup https://share.google/wN3SvCT1srV2MSjuL

                            Edit, Correction: I'm guess this is how the exact location was attributed.

                            The park is nothing to write home about. I remember the plaque, a row of parking spaces, and a small fishing pier.

                            In any case, you get there by following Gandy Boulevard to the east coast of Interbay, and then taking a right turn to go south.

                            Turning left on Bayshore Boulevard would lead you downtown, and making a U-turn would lead you to the Gandy Bridge and Saint Petersburg.

                            If you go one block north of Gandy then you've left Interbay.

                            D
                            D
                            Daniel
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #14

                            Daniel said:

                            I was always proud of the fact Jules Verne chose Port Tampa (a small neighborhood in Interbay where I'm from, not the port of Tampa) as the sight for the launching of his fictional moon launch. /off- topic

                            Jules Verne Park at Ballast Point... - Douglas Vance Karup https://share.google/wN3SvCT1srV2MSjuL

                            Edit, Correction: I'm guess this is how the exact location was attributed.

                            From the Earth to the Moon - Wikipedia https://share.google/POLscjVLEZqvNwKZf

                            Tampa is mentioned under: "Plot." I've never heard of Stone's Hill. I don't know if it's a real place.

                            'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            • AndyDA
                              AndyDA
                              AndyD
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #15

                              I'm keenly awaiting next year's trip.
                              Makes the news worth watching 😉

                              Ventosa viri restabit

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • wtgW
                                wtgW
                                wtg
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #16

                                Explainer:

                                alt text

                                https://science.nasa.gov/earth/earth-observatory/a-moonlit-earth-as-seen-from-artemis-ii/

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                • D
                                  D
                                  Daniel
                                  wrote on last edited by Daniel
                                  #17

                                  I'd rather have my eyes gauged out with a blunt knife so it's safe to say I didn't watch it.

                                  'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  • wtgW wtg

                                    New Artemis II astronaut iPhone video reveals new Earthset view

                                    ‘Like watching sunset at the beach from the most foreign seat in the cosmos.’

                                    alt text

                                    https://www.popsci.com/science/artemis-ii-video/

                                    S
                                    S
                                    Steve Miller
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #18

                                    @wtg

                                    Wait, what? Someone brought their iPhone on a space mission?

                                    ShiroKuroS 1 Reply Last reply
                                    • S Steve Miller

                                      @wtg

                                      Wait, what? Someone brought their iPhone on a space mission?

                                      ShiroKuroS
                                      ShiroKuroS
                                      ShiroKuro
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #19

                                      @Steve-Miller I wonder if they got charged extra for data roaming... 😄

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      😊

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                      Register Login
                                      Reply
                                      • Reply as topic
                                      Log in to reply
                                      • Oldest to Newest
                                      • Newest to Oldest
                                      • Most Votes


                                      Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                      • Login

                                      • Don't have an account? Register

                                      • Login or register to search.
                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      0
                                      • Categories
                                      • Recent
                                      • Tags
                                      • Popular
                                      • Users
                                      • Groups