Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Bloomscrolling--what's in bloom where you are?

Bloomscrolling--what's in bloom where you are?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
373 Posts 16 Posters 103.2k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • AndyDA
    AndyDA
    AndyD
    wrote on last edited by
    #349

    😊 I love this time of year when blackberries are everywhere and free.
    Sometimes in winter they (and raspberries) are £15/kg in the shops, so the little plastic punnets with maybe 25-30 berries costs over £3. (Blueberries are always cheapest at £9-12/kg, and stay fresh longest).

    Ventosa viri restabit

    1 Reply Last reply
    • ShiroKuroS
      ShiroKuroS
      ShiroKuro
      wrote on last edited by ShiroKuro
      #350

      Beautiful photos everyone!

      Some of you might remember that I was worried about something eating our black eyed susans before they had the chance to bloom... Well whatever it was decided that they didn't actually like the black eyed susans, so this is what it looks like now.

      alt text

      alt text

      They are actually trying to take over, so when fall comes, we're going to have to figure out how to rein them in. But for now, they look so cheery, right outside the front door. 🙂

      1 Reply Last reply
      👍
      • AndyDA
        AndyDA
        AndyD
        wrote on last edited by
        #351

        Out for a walk, saw these in well watered pots
        7731.jpg

        Ventosa viri restabit

        1 Reply Last reply
        👍
        • wtgW
          wtgW
          wtg
          wrote on last edited by
          #352

          Black-eyed Susans and glads. Classic late summer flowers!

          My Susies are going great guns, now that I've eliminated the rabbit menace. They used to eat them down to the ground by June and I never used to see any flowers. I'll divide and move some around either later this fall or next spring. They've been flower for three solid weeks and show no signs of slowing down.

          1 Reply Last reply
          • AndyDA
            AndyDA
            AndyD
            wrote on last edited by
            #353

            10228.jpg

            10229.jpg

            A few roses are blooming again after some rain this week. This one is small but what colour!
            I feel summer is nearly over.

            Ventosa viri restabit

            1 Reply Last reply
            👍
            • S
              S
              Steve Miller
              wrote on last edited by
              #354

              That rose is just perfect!

              1 Reply Last reply
              • MikM
                MikM
                Mik
                wrote on last edited by
                #355

                Sadly, my Thai basil. Now the leaves aren't much good.

                “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
                ― Douglas Adams

                1 Reply Last reply
                • AndyDA
                  AndyDA
                  AndyD
                  wrote on last edited by AndyD
                  #356

                  Kitchen window sill
                  10588.jpg

                  Ventosa viri restabit

                  B 1 Reply Last reply
                  ♥
                  • D
                    D
                    Daniel
                    wrote on last edited by Daniel
                    #357

                    Ok.

                    I'll hire a gardner if I win the lottery.

                    I just don't have a green thumb.

                    All of your gardens are so beautiful.

                    Thanks for sharing them. : )

                    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • S
                      S
                      Steve Miller
                      wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
                      #358

                      Seen in a field some miles west of the world’s largest truck stop.

                      IMG-6648.jpg

                      Turns out it’s bird’s foot trefoil which is planted as a cover crop and also harvested
                      for silage.

                      IMG-6642.jpg

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • AndyDA AndyD

                        Kitchen window sill
                        10588.jpg

                        B
                        B
                        Bernard
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #359

                        @AndyD Beautiful! I was very much into orchids for a while but ran into difficulties. The environments they come from are so varied that unless one has thousands to invest in a super good, large greenhouse, it's a challenge trying to accommodate all their needs. I am down to one Dendrochilum and one mini Cattleya. The Cattleya was on the discard bin and one day I noticed new growth, so I started watering it again and it's growing! Orchids are so darn fascinating and the colors so stunning, it's hard to resist. I was in the supermarket yesterday and brought home a pink Phal. This happened after I was rummaging upstairs and came across a book on orchids that I sat down with. I think it's rekindled a desire to get more. Heaven help me.

                        8312.JPG

                        Another favorite of mine is Streptocarpus. This one has almost doubled in size since I bought it earlier this year. It's outgrowing it's small terrarium.

                        8311.JPG

                        The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • AndyDA
                          AndyDA
                          AndyD
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #360

                          They are irresistibly beautiful, but tricky. I am reliably informed by MrsA that this white one needs little water and lives pretty much off air! Others she's had have needed a moist bathroom environment. Back in Malaysia one of her uncles had a huge greenhouse devoted to growing them.

                          As it happens there's an orchid show in Durham next Sunday which will be fun
                          8138.jpg

                          Ventosa viri restabit

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          👍
                          • wtgW
                            wtgW
                            wtg
                            wrote on last edited by wtg
                            #361

                            There's a sweet autumn clematis way back in the yard. There was a trellis there but it fell over and broke over the winter. I never got around to putting another one in, so the clematis ended up becoming part groundcover/part climbing vine. It even headed over to a nearby arbor where I have a couple of other sweet autumns started.

                            I'll do something different next year, but for now I think it looks kind of neat! Smells wonderful, too.

                            alt text

                            alt text

                            alt text

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            👍
                            • AndyDA
                              AndyDA
                              AndyD
                              wrote on last edited by
                              #362

                              That's the nicest ground cover.

                              Theres nothing much but green in our garden, however the orchid show last week was colourful
                              20260906_103729.jpg 20260906_110439.jpg 20260906_104305.jpg 20260906_104017.jpg 20260906_105714.jpg 20260906_105559.jpg 20260906_110121.jpg 20260906_110407.jpg 20260906_104247.jpg 20260906_105624.jpg

                              Ventosa viri restabit

                              B 1 Reply Last reply
                              ♥
                              • AndyDA AndyD

                                That's the nicest ground cover.

                                Theres nothing much but green in our garden, however the orchid show last week was colourful
                                20260906_103729.jpg 20260906_110439.jpg 20260906_104305.jpg 20260906_104017.jpg 20260906_105714.jpg 20260906_105559.jpg 20260906_110121.jpg 20260906_110407.jpg 20260906_104247.jpg 20260906_105624.jpg

                                B
                                B
                                Bernard
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #363

                                @AndyD OMG. So beautiful, it's hard to resist being drawn in. That Phragmipedium is stunning!

                                The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                • AndyDA
                                  AndyDA
                                  AndyD
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #364

                                  I ought to have taken my Sony camera, it's a struggle to frame, isolate and get depth of field with a phone camera.

                                  Ventosa viri restabit

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  👍
                                  • D
                                    D
                                    Daniel
                                    wrote on last edited by
                                    #365

                                    @andyd Your last picture- great!! Wow.

                                    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    • wtgW
                                      wtgW
                                      wtg
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #366

                                      Those orchids are lovely.

                                      Years ago I had my own little collection of orchid plants. I think my favorites were the Oncidium Sharry Baby ‘Sweet Fragrant’ . The whole house would smell like vanilla when the plant was in bloom.

                                      We also enjoyed searching for yellow lady's slipper orchids in the woods in Door County. They are very fussy about where they will grow; we were lucky enough to have the perfect conditions in several areas of our property and they came back reliably, year after year.

                                      alt text

                                      https://doorcountypulse.com/the-ladys-slipper/

                                      B 1 Reply Last reply
                                      👍
                                      • wtgW wtg

                                        Those orchids are lovely.

                                        Years ago I had my own little collection of orchid plants. I think my favorites were the Oncidium Sharry Baby ‘Sweet Fragrant’ . The whole house would smell like vanilla when the plant was in bloom.

                                        We also enjoyed searching for yellow lady's slipper orchids in the woods in Door County. They are very fussy about where they will grow; we were lucky enough to have the perfect conditions in several areas of our property and they came back reliably, year after year.

                                        alt text

                                        https://doorcountypulse.com/the-ladys-slipper/

                                        B
                                        B
                                        Bernard
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #367

                                        @wtg I've had pink lady slippers (Cypripedium acaule) on my property. Twice a plant has come up and flowered two years in a row, thereafter disappearing. The conditions for their growth are very specific.

                                        Here is one I discovered shortly after moving here:
                                        flowers1.JPG

                                        The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        • B
                                          B
                                          Bernard
                                          wrote on last edited by
                                          #368

                                          I have followed this guy, William Green, on Youtube for many years. His channel is called "My Green Pets".

                                          Link to video

                                          The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups