Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Art 2nd Thread

Art 2nd Thread

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
21 Posts 9 Posters 284 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • D
    D
    Daniel
    wrote last edited by Daniel
    #1

    Link to video

    This painting and the story behind it grabbed my attention.

    It's a beautiful painting imo and it has an unusual history.

    I want this thread to be about art you hang on the wall.

    Any.

    Any situation.

    Just light hearted fun.

    I love paintings and the more you look at them and learn about them the more interesting they get.

    I like Victorian art.

    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

    B 1 Reply Last reply
    • AxtremusA
      AxtremusA
      Axtremus
      wrote last edited by
      #2

      IMG_8985.jpg IMG_8986.jpg IMG_8987.jpg IMG_8988.jpg IMG_8989.jpg

      All these are art I pieces hang on the wall. Why do I have them? They came with a house I bought a long time ago. Nothing personal at all. When buying the house I did not have anything that I wanted to hang on the walls in particular, but I also did not want the walls to be too bare. So when the seller offered to leave those pieces behind for a token sum, I took the offer.

      The last one ... 'til this day I am not sure whether I am hanging it in the orientation the artist intended. I am not motivated enough to find the answer. 🤷

      But, maybe just for fun, you folks can tell me in which orientation you think I should hang that last piece.

      C 1 Reply Last reply
      👍
      • D Daniel

        Link to video

        This painting and the story behind it grabbed my attention.

        It's a beautiful painting imo and it has an unusual history.

        I want this thread to be about art you hang on the wall.

        Any.

        Any situation.

        Just light hearted fun.

        I love paintings and the more you look at them and learn about them the more interesting they get.

        I like Victorian art.

        B
        B
        Bernard
        wrote last edited by
        #3

        @Daniel "Taste is a fashion" Yes. Art has no intrinsic value in the realm of money.

        The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

        D 1 Reply Last reply
        • B
          B
          Bernard
          wrote last edited by Bernard
          #4

          Two pieces on one living room wall, one above the other.

          9241.JPG

          9242.JPG

          They were both created by a friend from high school; we used to hang out a bit back then. I bought the painting about 13 years ago. It's a painting of a nearby town after a blizzard in the 1940s; painted from a postcard or picture. The assemblage on old boards hangs below it. I bought it from a show he did only a few years ago.

          Back story on the pieces: My friend got Shingles some years back and it got in his eyes. He was unable to paint for a long time thereafter. That's when he turned to creating collages and assemblages. His studio is in the town which is the subject of the painting. The back of his studio leads to a river running through town and time... In 1923 there was a great fire and much of downtown burned. A lot of rubble was simply plowed to the river. In my friend's strolls along the river bank he began discovering a lot of old everyday objects, damaged by the fire and worn by time. So he used them in a series of assemblages.

          You'll notice that the photograph creating the backdrop in the assemblage is the same scene (from a slightly different vantage point) as that of the painting above, but taken in spring or summer. The items in the piece come from the river. Many of the pieces he created for the show contain a figure of some sort, with faces that he painted, and sticks, found objects, etc. to create the body. Many of the pieces also contain text. This piece does on the man's torso. Old newspaper clippings.

          I like that the two pieces are related, created several years apart.

          The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

          1 Reply Last reply
          • K
            K
            kluurs
            wrote last edited by
            #5

            This is a recent picture I purchased. It's at the framer's. I may pick it up tomorrow. It's a work by a Japanese artist who passed away a couple of years ago named Tanaka Ryohei. It's titled, "Kamo Road".

            image.jpeg

            AndyDA 1 Reply Last reply
            👍
            • B
              B
              Bernard
              wrote last edited by Bernard
              #6

              One more.
              9243.JPG

              Backstory: I bought this painting in 1992. I worked at 853 Broadway, southern border of Union Square Park, 18th floor. Our building is the brown rectangle in the upper left corner of the painting. I used to go out to the park's farmer's market during lunch and one day saw this young man with easel and palette working away among the hubbub of the market. I liked it a lot and asked him if it was for sale and how much did he want. Only $200. He was happy that someone actually wanted to buy one of his paintings. He pointed out to me areas of the painting that he was quite happy with and why it pleased him. (Note: You can see the twin towers in the distance.)

              I searched the internet for him last year and discovered that he's done well for himself as an artist, now residing in Hoboken. I must have one of his earliest NY paintings because he moved from Buffalo in 1991.

              A show he had this year:
              https://hobokenmuseum.org/exhibition/natural-plus-new-paintings-by-frank-hanavan/

              The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

              1 Reply Last reply
              • K
                K
                kluurs
                wrote last edited by
                #7

                Nice picture, Bernard. You - and he did well.

                1 Reply Last reply
                • B Bernard

                  @Daniel "Taste is a fashion" Yes. Art has no intrinsic value in the realm of money.

                  D
                  D
                  Daniel
                  wrote last edited by
                  #8

                  @Bernard said:

                  @Daniel "Taste is a fashion" Yes. Art has no intrinsic value in the realm of money.

                  That's right!

                  'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  • D
                    D
                    Daniel
                    wrote last edited by Daniel
                    #9

                    @axtremus

                    2 answers-

                    1 If you're hanging an artwork, of course, it depends on the placement, and also the placement of other artworks at the same time, if any.

                    2 I'd turn it so the left side would be the bottom side.

                    I imagine the rectangular figure with a circle on top represents a lighthouse and the lines represent the sky.

                    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • AndyDA
                      AndyDA
                      AndyD
                      wrote last edited by
                      #10

                      Try back to front?

                      Ventosa viri restabit

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • K kluurs

                        This is a recent picture I purchased. It's at the framer's. I may pick it up tomorrow. It's a work by a Japanese artist who passed away a couple of years ago named Tanaka Ryohei. It's titled, "Kamo Road".

                        image.jpeg

                        AndyDA
                        AndyDA
                        AndyD
                        wrote last edited by
                        #11

                        @kluurs said:

                        This is a recent picture I purchased. It's at the framer's. I may pick it up tomorrow. It's a work by a Japanese artist who passed away a couple of years ago named Tanaka Ryohei. It's titled, "Kamo Road".

                        image.jpeg

                        I too would buy it.
                        Love the composition, in fact everything about it calls out to me.

                        Fascinating, realistic, dull, fabulous detail, take a photo, because I can.
                        I couldn't walk past it without stopping to admire the whispy branches.
                        What size is it? A2?

                        (Very Japanese, like one of those incredibly clever & perfect wooden mechanical joints their joiners create. Nail, glue?)

                        Ventosa viri restabit

                        K 1 Reply Last reply
                        • dolmansaxlilD
                          dolmansaxlilD
                          dolmansaxlil
                          wrote last edited by
                          #12

                          I have a lot of original art in my home and I love it all. We never entertain because I am so introverted and the only regret I have about that is no one gets to see what we have on our walls but us! 🤣

                          I have several paintings by an old friend, Rob Croxford. I met him in theatre school - we was a designer and scenic painter. Eventually he became a full time artist and we reconnected. I have seven of his paintings - 3 large, 2 medium, and 2 small. This is the first one I bought (14 years ago!). I lived on what is now Dundas Square when I lived in Toronto so there was nostalgia element to buying this piece. He actually hates this one and I tease him about that all the time. A couple years ago the TTC (the public transit authority for Toronto) commissioned a painting for the front of their transit map. He sent me a couple copies and I have them tucked behind the canvas.

                          IMG_1320.jpeg

                          We bought this one from Rob last year. It’s my favourite of the ones we own.

                          IMG_7470.jpeg

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • AndyDA
                            AndyDA
                            AndyD
                            wrote last edited by
                            #13

                            Have I shared this...
                            'The wrong tree'

                            11994.jpg

                            She mostly creates lino prints, and is also a falconer. I liked her amusing small watercolour a lot, so it now hangs on the wall behind our piano.

                            Ventosa viri restabit

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            ♥
                            • AxtremusA Axtremus

                              IMG_8985.jpg IMG_8986.jpg IMG_8987.jpg IMG_8988.jpg IMG_8989.jpg

                              All these are art I pieces hang on the wall. Why do I have them? They came with a house I bought a long time ago. Nothing personal at all. When buying the house I did not have anything that I wanted to hang on the walls in particular, but I also did not want the walls to be too bare. So when the seller offered to leave those pieces behind for a token sum, I took the offer.

                              The last one ... 'til this day I am not sure whether I am hanging it in the orientation the artist intended. I am not motivated enough to find the answer. 🤷

                              But, maybe just for fun, you folks can tell me in which orientation you think I should hang that last piece.

                              C
                              C
                              CHAS
                              wrote last edited by
                              #14

                              @Axtremus The last piece is perfect. Leave it alone. No doubt a large committee of museum curators met and voted to hang it as it is.

                              "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

                              • Twyla Tharp
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • AndyDA AndyD

                                @kluurs said:

                                This is a recent picture I purchased. It's at the framer's. I may pick it up tomorrow. It's a work by a Japanese artist who passed away a couple of years ago named Tanaka Ryohei. It's titled, "Kamo Road".

                                image.jpeg

                                I too would buy it.
                                Love the composition, in fact everything about it calls out to me.

                                Fascinating, realistic, dull, fabulous detail, take a photo, because I can.
                                I couldn't walk past it without stopping to admire the whispy branches.
                                What size is it? A2?

                                (Very Japanese, like one of those incredibly clever & perfect wooden mechanical joints their joiners create. Nail, glue?)

                                K
                                K
                                kluurs
                                wrote last edited by
                                #15

                                @AndyD

                                Image Size: Approx. 26.5 × 34.5 cm (10.4 × 13.6 in)

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                • JodiJ
                                  JodiJ
                                  Jodi
                                  wrote last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Love seeing the art you all have. “The Wrong Tree” cracks me up. 😁

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  • AndyDA
                                    AndyDA
                                    AndyD
                                    wrote last edited by
                                    #17

                                    They're all identifiable birds btw, including the hapless red-legged partridge

                                    Ventosa viri restabit

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    • B
                                      B
                                      Bernard
                                      wrote last edited by
                                      #18

                                      These four paintings are all by the same artist, a Youtuber named Siloe Oliveira (Suburban Homestead) whom I'm subscribed to. I have bought these from him over the years because I really enjoy his channel but I use an adblocker, so this is my way of showing support.

                                      9266.JPG

                                      The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      • R
                                        R
                                        RealPlayer
                                        wrote last edited by RealPlayer
                                        #19

                                        IMG_2676.jpeg
                                        This isn’t art, but it makes me happy whenever I look at it. A ceramic umbrella stand I recently picked up at an estate sale.

                                        I’m rather surprised I like it because I’m not a fan of busy patterns.

                                        B 1 Reply Last reply
                                        • R RealPlayer

                                          IMG_2676.jpeg
                                          This isn’t art, but it makes me happy whenever I look at it. A ceramic umbrella stand I recently picked up at an estate sale.

                                          I’m rather surprised I like it because I’m not a fan of busy patterns.

                                          B
                                          B
                                          Bernard
                                          wrote last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @RealPlayer It is art.

                                          The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                          1 Reply Last reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                          • Login

                                          • Don't have an account? Register

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups