Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. House for sale

House for sale

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
38 Posts 8 Posters 1.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • AndyDA AndyD

    A doer-upper:

    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/91404393#/?channel=RES_BUY

    wtgW
    wtgW
    wtg
    wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @AndyD Nice! Reminded me of one of the projects that I saw on Grand Designs.

    I also looked at this related listing:

    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/91462938#/?channel=RES_BUY

    Both this one and the one you listed seem to have graveyards associated with them. Not sure how I'd feel about that. Lots of deep emotional energy stored in cemetery space.

    1 Reply Last reply
    • AndyDA
      AndyDA
      AndyD
      wrote on last edited by
      #21

      You'd need an architect to divide it up into rooms, keeping the original features.

      As for the graveyard, you couldn't garden the area.
      I always think it likely that at some time somebody is likely to have been buried on the land we own, certainly owners died in both our current and previous houses.
      Doesn't bother me. There's nobody in a graveyard, only you and your memories.

      Ventosa viri restabit

      1 Reply Last reply
      • S
        S
        Steve Miller
        wrote on last edited by
        #22

        Very nice!

        Would make an interesting project.

        1 Reply Last reply
        • AndyDA
          AndyDA
          AndyD
          wrote on last edited by
          #23

          https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90676437#/?channel=RES_BUY

          I'm torn between a loch view and a sea view

          https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gblhchlac240093

          Ventosa viri restabit

          1 Reply Last reply
          • S
            S
            Steve Miller
            wrote on last edited by
            #24

            Lovely!

            1 Reply Last reply
            • AndyDA
              AndyDA
              AndyD
              wrote on last edited by AndyD
              #25

              But your choice of view 😉?

              Sea views for me (Devon warmth, goodness what a lovely home, in fact the gardeners house looks nice enough😄)

              Ventosa viri restabit

              1 Reply Last reply
              • S
                S
                Steve Miller
                wrote on last edited by
                #26

                I’m partial to the loch, myself.

                1 Reply Last reply
                • wtgW
                  wtgW
                  wtg
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #27

                  Me, too.

                  Lovely as both of them are, they feel too remote. Good for vacation. Not so much for living in full time. While I'm kind of a hermit in many respects, I still like having people living nearby me.

                  AndyDA 1 Reply Last reply
                  • D
                    D
                    Daniel
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #28

                    #1 gets my vote

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • wtgW wtg

                      Me, too.

                      Lovely as both of them are, they feel too remote. Good for vacation. Not so much for living in full time. While I'm kind of a hermit in many respects, I still like having people living nearby me.

                      AndyDA
                      AndyDA
                      AndyD
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #29

                      @wtg said:

                      Me, too.

                      Lovely as both of them are, they feel too remote. Good for vacation. Not so much for living in full time. While I'm kind of a hermit in many respects, I still like having people living nearby me.

                      Yes, also I've realised how nice it is to walk to a local shop for a newspaper, and have a doctor/dentist within reasonable driving distance. So not to live in the outer Hebrides, nor London, a compromise.

                      Ventosa viri restabit

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      • D
                        D
                        Daniel
                        wrote on last edited by Daniel
                        #30

                        I no longer want to live in a large city, not even New York or Chicago.

                        Neither could I afford it.

                        Town and Country as a concept was strongly imprinted on us in the NY, Tri-State metropolis

                        So someone with $$ would of course have a city apartment and a county estate.

                        Well, the estate was as always a house, gardens, and land, of course.

                        This, scaled down, is the kind of house I'd have in a perfect world.

                        I like apartment buildings (and tower houses even better even though don't have them.)

                        However, there are the age, aging, aging in place, and dying (excuse me) factors, as well resource to consider.

                        Hawaii was remote. I couldn't live there again.

                        Why? Access to modern (in a neutral sense) health care.

                        At this age, for me, living in some rural paradise is is not an option.

                        Yes, I like having everything I need close enough, and couldn't live any other way.

                        It's fun to dream, though.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • AndyDA
                          AndyDA
                          AndyD
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #31

                          Steinway Tower, unbelievably amazing views

                          https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/111-W-57th-St-PT75-New-York-NY-10019/464426067_zpid/

                          https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1EgDybXhhg/

                          Ventosa viri restabit

                          D 1 Reply Last reply
                          • J
                            J
                            jon-nyc
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #32

                            I’m still bitter they closed Steinway hall.

                            The new place on 5th ave doesn’t even let you play the pianos without an appointment.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            • AndyDA AndyD

                              Steinway Tower, unbelievably amazing views

                              https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/111-W-57th-St-PT75-New-York-NY-10019/464426067_zpid/

                              https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1EgDybXhhg/

                              D
                              D
                              Daniel
                              wrote on last edited by Daniel
                              #33

                              @AndyD said:

                              Steinway Tower, unbelievably amazing views

                              https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/111-W-57th-St-PT75-New-York-NY-10019/464426067_zpid/

                              https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1EgDybXhhg/

                              The rooms are ultra-luxurious and much too numerous IMO.

                              Also, having grown up with an isometric map of Manhattan on my wall, I'll give my opinion that so-called billionaires' row was a mistake that should never have seen planning approval, nor building permits, for many reasons.

                              I'm not alone in this opinion.

                              The bottom line issue here is structural integrity, no matter who does it does not want to acknowledge it.

                              Steinway Hall is a perfect example of the wider problem.

                              "The Steinway Tower (111 West 57th Street) is safe and structurally sound, but its unprecedented 24-to-1 aspect ratio has led to lawsuits over facade cracks, intense wind-sway motion, creaking partition walls, and high-pressure plumbing strain.Engineering and Operational ChallengesWind Sway: The top floors can move up to 3 feet in high winds. An 800-ton tuned mass damper controls acceleration, but severe storms still cause noticeable movement and occasional motion sickness for occupants.Noise and Vibration: High-aspect flexibility causes interior partition walls to rub against moving floor plates, creating audible creaking, groaning, and banging noises.Water Pressure: Pumping water over 1,400 feet high places extreme stress on internal systems, increasing the risk of gasket failures and localized leaks.Legal Disputes: The condo board has filed multi-million dollar lawsuits against developers and designers over construction flaws, cracking, and building performance issues, though developers maintain the structure is completely safe.If you'd like, I can share more details on:How tuned mass dampers work in supertall skyscrapersThe engineering behind rock anchors used for slender towersSpecific details regarding the ongoing condo board lawsuitsLet me know how you would like to proceed.Super Structures AssociatesThe “surprising” swaying motion in the world's thinnest skyscrapersAug 16, 2022 — As with any building over a certain height, high winds can potentially cause noticeable swaying. A building as tall and slim as the Steinway Tower, which comes ...The BafflerFaulty Towers | Samuel Stein - The BafflerNov 1, 2021 — Well-designed and well-reviewed, this skinny tower is best known for its upper half, which tapers off from its southern exposure as it angles toward the clouds.YouTube·Mega Tech Builds2mThis $2 Billion Skyscraper Sits EMPTY Here's WhyInstagram·Painterior (India) LLP1:13How thin can a skyscraper go before it stops being stable? Steinway ...The New York Times·The New York Times49sA Tower on Billionaires' Row Is Full of Cracks. Who's to Blame?HowStuffWorksMaybe You Can Be Too Thin? Meet the World's Skinniest SkyscraperApr 16, 2024 — There is a slight downside to living among the clouds. The dimensions of the tower make it highly susceptible to swaying – as much as 3 feet (0.9 meters) – when...Instagram·Kyle Tillyer1:28Steinway Tower at 111 West 57th Street ..."- Google AI

                              It's all fun and games until a tower comes crashing down.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              • AndyDA
                                AndyDA
                                AndyD
                                wrote on last edited by
                                #34

                                And I'd have to change all the furniture, which irks when you're handing over 55 million.
                                That's like 13million per bedroom.

                                Ventosa viri restabit

                                D 1 Reply Last reply
                                • C
                                  C
                                  CHAS
                                  wrote on last edited by
                                  #35

                                  Lovely, do servants come with it?

                                  "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

                                  • Twyla Tharp
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  • D
                                    D
                                    Daniel
                                    wrote on last edited by Daniel
                                    #36

                                    I imagine it would be like having small earthquakes in your apartment, while trying not to vomit, while listening to the structure of the building move against each other in ways building shouldn't, while wondering if you would have water day to day, to know knowing if your water was leaking behind your walls, or if it might start leaking behind your walls tomorrow.

                                    These buildings were built for living.

                                    They were built for money laundering.

                                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                                    • D Daniel

                                      I imagine it would be like having small earthquakes in your apartment, while trying not to vomit, while listening to the structure of the building move against each other in ways building shouldn't, while wondering if you would have water day to day, to know knowing if your water was leaking behind your walls, or if it might start leaking behind your walls tomorrow.

                                      These buildings were built for living.

                                      They were built for money laundering.

                                      D
                                      D
                                      Daniel
                                      wrote on last edited by
                                      #37
                                      This post is deleted!
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      • AndyDA AndyD

                                        And I'd have to change all the furniture, which irks when you're handing over 55 million.
                                        That's like 13million per bedroom.

                                        D
                                        D
                                        Daniel
                                        wrote on last edited by
                                        #38

                                        @AndyD said:

                                        And I'd have to change all the furniture, which irks when you're handing over 55 million.
                                        That's like 13million per bedroom.

                                        Lol!

                                        1 Reply Last reply

                                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                        Register Login
                                        Reply
                                        • Reply as topic
                                        Log in to reply
                                        • Oldest to Newest
                                        • Newest to Oldest
                                        • Most Votes


                                        Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                        • Login

                                        • Don't have an account? Register

                                        • Login or register to search.
                                        • First post
                                          Last post
                                        0
                                        • Categories
                                        • Recent
                                        • Tags
                                        • Popular
                                        • Users
                                        • Groups