Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

  1. Home
  2. Categories
  3. Off Key - General Discussion
  4. Bloomscrolling--what's in bloom where you are?

Bloomscrolling--what's in bloom where you are?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off Key - General Discussion
373 Posts 16 Posters 103.2k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • D
    D
    Daniel
    wrote on last edited by Daniel
    #357

    Ok.

    I'll hire a gardner if I win the lottery.

    I just don't have a green thumb.

    All of your gardens are so beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing them. : )

    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

    1 Reply Last reply
    • S
      S
      Steve Miller
      wrote on last edited by Steve Miller
      #358

      Seen in a field some miles west of the world’s largest truck stop.

      IMG-6648.jpg

      Turns out it’s bird’s foot trefoil which is planted as a cover crop and also harvested
      for silage.

      IMG-6642.jpg

      1 Reply Last reply
      • AndyDA AndyD

        Kitchen window sill
        10588.jpg

        B
        B
        Bernard
        wrote on last edited by
        #359

        @AndyD Beautiful! I was very much into orchids for a while but ran into difficulties. The environments they come from are so varied that unless one has thousands to invest in a super good, large greenhouse, it's a challenge trying to accommodate all their needs. I am down to one Dendrochilum and one mini Cattleya. The Cattleya was on the discard bin and one day I noticed new growth, so I started watering it again and it's growing! Orchids are so darn fascinating and the colors so stunning, it's hard to resist. I was in the supermarket yesterday and brought home a pink Phal. This happened after I was rummaging upstairs and came across a book on orchids that I sat down with. I think it's rekindled a desire to get more. Heaven help me.

        8312.JPG

        Another favorite of mine is Streptocarpus. This one has almost doubled in size since I bought it earlier this year. It's outgrowing it's small terrarium.

        8311.JPG

        The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

        1 Reply Last reply
        • AndyDA
          AndyDA
          AndyD
          wrote on last edited by
          #360

          They are irresistibly beautiful, but tricky. I am reliably informed by MrsA that this white one needs little water and lives pretty much off air! Others she's had have needed a moist bathroom environment. Back in Malaysia one of her uncles had a huge greenhouse devoted to growing them.

          As it happens there's an orchid show in Durham next Sunday which will be fun
          8138.jpg

          Ventosa viri restabit

          1 Reply Last reply
          👍
          • wtgW
            wtgW
            wtg
            wrote on last edited by wtg
            #361

            There's a sweet autumn clematis way back in the yard. There was a trellis there but it fell over and broke over the winter. I never got around to putting another one in, so the clematis ended up becoming part groundcover/part climbing vine. It even headed over to a nearby arbor where I have a couple of other sweet autumns started.

            I'll do something different next year, but for now I think it looks kind of neat! Smells wonderful, too.

            alt text

            alt text

            alt text

            1 Reply Last reply
            👍
            • AndyDA
              AndyDA
              AndyD
              wrote on last edited by
              #362

              That's the nicest ground cover.

              Theres nothing much but green in our garden, however the orchid show last week was colourful
              20260906_103729.jpg 20260906_110439.jpg 20260906_104305.jpg 20260906_104017.jpg 20260906_105714.jpg 20260906_105559.jpg 20260906_110121.jpg 20260906_110407.jpg 20260906_104247.jpg 20260906_105624.jpg

              Ventosa viri restabit

              B 1 Reply Last reply
              ♥
              • AndyDA AndyD

                That's the nicest ground cover.

                Theres nothing much but green in our garden, however the orchid show last week was colourful
                20260906_103729.jpg 20260906_110439.jpg 20260906_104305.jpg 20260906_104017.jpg 20260906_105714.jpg 20260906_105559.jpg 20260906_110121.jpg 20260906_110407.jpg 20260906_104247.jpg 20260906_105624.jpg

                B
                B
                Bernard
                wrote on last edited by
                #363

                @AndyD OMG. So beautiful, it's hard to resist being drawn in. That Phragmipedium is stunning!

                The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                1 Reply Last reply
                • AndyDA
                  AndyDA
                  AndyD
                  wrote on last edited by
                  #364

                  I ought to have taken my Sony camera, it's a struggle to frame, isolate and get depth of field with a phone camera.

                  Ventosa viri restabit

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  👍
                  • D
                    D
                    Daniel
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #365

                    @andyd Your last picture- great!! Wow.

                    'But as they said in one of the later Rocky movies, "Time...it's undefeated.".-- Mik

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    • wtgW
                      wtgW
                      wtg
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #366

                      Those orchids are lovely.

                      Years ago I had my own little collection of orchid plants. I think my favorites were the Oncidium Sharry Baby ‘Sweet Fragrant’ . The whole house would smell like vanilla when the plant was in bloom.

                      We also enjoyed searching for yellow lady's slipper orchids in the woods in Door County. They are very fussy about where they will grow; we were lucky enough to have the perfect conditions in several areas of our property and they came back reliably, year after year.

                      alt text

                      https://doorcountypulse.com/the-ladys-slipper/

                      B 1 Reply Last reply
                      👍
                      • wtgW wtg

                        Those orchids are lovely.

                        Years ago I had my own little collection of orchid plants. I think my favorites were the Oncidium Sharry Baby ‘Sweet Fragrant’ . The whole house would smell like vanilla when the plant was in bloom.

                        We also enjoyed searching for yellow lady's slipper orchids in the woods in Door County. They are very fussy about where they will grow; we were lucky enough to have the perfect conditions in several areas of our property and they came back reliably, year after year.

                        alt text

                        https://doorcountypulse.com/the-ladys-slipper/

                        B
                        B
                        Bernard
                        wrote on last edited by
                        #367

                        @wtg I've had pink lady slippers (Cypripedium acaule) on my property. Twice a plant has come up and flowered two years in a row, thereafter disappearing. The conditions for their growth are very specific.

                        Here is one I discovered shortly after moving here:
                        flowers1.JPG

                        The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        • B
                          B
                          Bernard
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #368

                          I have followed this guy, William Green, on Youtube for many years. His channel is called "My Green Pets".

                          Link to video

                          The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          • B
                            B
                            Bernard
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #369

                            The first Morning Glory of the year. I consider this an official proclamation that fall is here.
                            9171.JPG

                            A bit of autumn color on one of the Sedums.
                            9172.JPG

                            I have really enjoyed these magenta Cleome. I may try to save their seeds.
                            9171.JPG

                            The native Lobelia is going strong.
                            9173.JPG

                            The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            👍
                            • AndyDA
                              AndyDA
                              AndyD
                              wrote on last edited by AndyD
                              #370

                              Bit of colour still with an Iceland poppy and rose suddenly showing again.
                              Apples and pairs are amazing this year:11632.jpg 11633.jpg 11634.jpg 11636.jpg 11637.jpg
                              11663.jpg

                              Ventosa viri restabit

                              B 1 Reply Last reply
                              👍
                              • AndyDA
                                AndyDA
                                AndyD
                                wrote last edited by
                                #371

                                We're having something of an Indian Summer here. Photo taken at a nearby RSPB reserve

                                12124.jpg

                                Ventosa viri restabit

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                👍
                                • AndyDA AndyD

                                  Bit of colour still with an Iceland poppy and rose suddenly showing again.
                                  Apples and pairs are amazing this year:11632.jpg 11633.jpg 11634.jpg 11636.jpg 11637.jpg
                                  11663.jpg

                                  B
                                  B
                                  Bernard
                                  wrote last edited by
                                  #372

                                  @AndyD Beautiful rose color! I haven't had good luck with poppies--they never come back.

                                  The industrial revolution cheapened everything.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  • AndyDA
                                    AndyDA
                                    AndyD
                                    wrote last edited by AndyD
                                    #373

                                    Iceland poppies seed themselves here, in yellow and orange, before you knowing they're popping up everywhere in the nicest way

                                    Ventosa viri restabit

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    👍

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                    Register Login
                                    Reply
                                    • Reply as topic
                                    Log in to reply
                                    • Oldest to Newest
                                    • Newest to Oldest
                                    • Most Votes


                                    Powered by NodeBB | Contributors
                                    • Login

                                    • Don't have an account? Register

                                    • Login or register to search.
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    0
                                    • Categories
                                    • Recent
                                    • Tags
                                    • Popular
                                    • Users
                                    • Groups