Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

J

jon-nyc

@jon-nyc
Unfollow Follow
About
Posts
1.1k
Topics
125
Shares
0
Groups
0
Followers
0
Following
0

Posts

Recent

  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Humility


  • Be careful with weight loss drugs
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    I strongly suspect that the risk to your health of obesity greatly exceeds the risk of this potential side effect if it is one.

    I’m probably more attuned to thinking about relative risks with medications given that I take drugs known to cause chronic kidney disease (with utter certainty, the only question is severity) and increase my skin cancer risk by 100x (not a typo). My alternative would be to die in a couple of months as my body rejects my lungs.


  • Be careful with weight loss drugs
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @ShiroKuro said:

    But seriously, these glp-1 drugs are so new, doctors should be more cautious about prescribing them, and any new illness or symptom in a person on a glp-1 maybe should lead to increased scrutiny of possible connections.

    They’re over 20 years old. It’s just that prescribing them for weight loss is newish. Used to be just diabetes.


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Seagull


  • Tell us about your schools
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @daniel I lived in Merritt Island between the ages of 8 and 14

    @mary-anna International Relations


  • Not this again
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    FBFD0F3E-5FE8-4B12-A7A8-C8721F1126F4.png


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    None


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Energy


  • Tell us about your schools
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @Daniel said:

    I graduated from MS in NY and HS in FL.

    I graduated middle school in FL and high school in NY.

    College at Purdue. A little grad school at The New School in NYC (this was for fun in my 30s and I didn’t finish because a new job had me mostly out of the country)


  • LLMs and the dwindling number of people who appreciate and value language
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @Mary-Anna said:

    We've been told that the Anthropic payout is coming in installments and the first checks will go out in November. I don't even know yet how much mine is supposed to be, but I guess I'll know a little more then.

    From what I’ve read it’s 3k per in-scope book but split with the publisher. So 1500? I don’t remember if the 3k number is net of attorney fees or if that has to get taken out of the 3k before splitting it.


  • LLMs and the dwindling number of people who appreciate and value language
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @Mary-Anna said:

    @Bernard I agree with everything you wrote, Bernard.

    They have indeed swiped a good chunk of human effort. I think the Anthropic settlement which, although it was a billion-and-a-half dollars, feels like they're throwing us a bone. When it came through, I thought that perhaps all the AI companies were going to at least have to throw us a bone, but I see no sign of it.

    Did the other big AI models train on pirated copies too?


  • LLMs and the dwindling number of people who appreciate and value language
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    I’ve asked it for one paragraph answers before. I don’t use it for writing, I use it for learning. It’s fantastic as a subject matter expert for learning new things.

    But it would certainly understand and follow such instructions like ‘keep it under 350 words’ or ‘no more than 2 pages’.


  • LLMs and the dwindling number of people who appreciate and value language
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    I don’t mean the companies I mean the users like you or me. You can write a prompt asking to compose an email, a letter, a story, whatever and simply append ‘make it 1 page maximum’ or ‘300 words or fewer’ or whatever you want.


  • LLMs and the dwindling number of people who appreciate and value language
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    An LLM may not have an incentive but the person writing the prompt should. How hard is it to add ‘keep your answer to X words/paragraphs or fewer’ at the end?


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Cantor


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Margarita


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Head


  • Non sequitur Thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    You don’t understand. Chunks is my dog.


  • Word association thread
    J jon-nyc
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Sushi

  • Login

  • Don't have an account? Register

  • Login or register to search.
  • First post
    Last post
0
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups