Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Brand Logo

WTF-Beta

K

kluurs

@kluurs
Unfollow Follow
About
Posts
139
Topics
13
Shares
0
Groups
0
Followers
0
Following
0

Posts

Recent

  • What's your Uber rating?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    4.79 - not sure who I displeased. I really haven't used it much lately though twice in the last week.


  • Help with this rolled chord in Clair de Lune?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    I do the 54321 for the third chord. It's only an octave, but yes, I do find my self leaning to the right a bit to make it comfortable.


  • NYT list of 100 best TV shows of tue 21st century
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    All of Doug's, 17 of the top 100 of the 21st century.


  • New semester starts soon at the music school
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Lots of good news here. Happy to hear everyone making progress. Bernard - argh - hard to give up an instrument. Yes, the cello is an amazingly resonant instrument. I've had a few cellist play in our living room. One of the Chicago Symphony cellists played a few times. I loved his playing because he played as if he were performing in Orchestra Hall. Sitting five feet away from him, you really felt the cello in your chest. From a completely different standpoint, the chief cellist of the orchestra toned his playing down for the size of the room. They both were beautiful - but personally, I loved the over the top resonance. Similarly, my piano is overpowering for the room. When I am playing, the lid is completely down. That helps me a lot when practicing. On the other hand, when someone else is performing and the lid is up, it sounds great from the side of the piano. I'm sure the piano is happier when one of the pros is playing.


  • Art 2nd Thread
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @AndyD

    Image Size: Approx. 26.5 × 34.5 cm (10.4 × 13.6 in)


  • Art 2nd Thread
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Nice picture, Bernard. You - and he did well.


  • Art 2nd Thread
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    This is a recent picture I purchased. It's at the framer's. I may pick it up tomorrow. It's a work by a Japanese artist who passed away a couple of years ago named Tanaka Ryohei. It's titled, "Kamo Road".

    image.jpeg


  • Happy Birthdays!! (some belated, some not)
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Thanks, the words that it "beats the alternative" has more resonance than it did a few decades ago.


  • Shingles shot
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    I had shingles - not fun - plan to the shot later this month.


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    For all of us wishing to be humbled - here is 7 year old Olivia Li - who is the youngest person ever accepted to the Curtis Institute of Music (Yuja Wang's alma mater) playing the Chopin etude in thirds...

    Link to video


  • NYT: the World Is a Room with a Piano Waiting to be Played
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @Daniel said:

    I love beautiful rooms, beautiful pianos, Louis Armstrong, and cute animals a lot.

    I love the fact that spaces (literal and metaphorical) exist that can be filled with art by artists.

    I can't enter a home without first thinking "where would the piano go?" A couple of nights ago, I dreamt that somehow I had bought a house - and I was looking at the living room - which was a bit on the small side and wondering which wall I'd put the piano - not the couch, tv or anything else.

    As for pretty rooms, our rooms have no space is not covered with art. And though I already had 5 art nouveau lamps in the living room - I found a small space to accommodate another. Mrs. Kluurs hasn't discovered it yet...

    d1154343-ba02-4115-9736-f8e0ecf0ea40-image.jpeg


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @ShiroKuro said:

    @AndyD said:
    the discipline to play each through daily

    For whatever reason, daily practice and consistency (like returning to daily practice if I miss a day) is the one thing I’m really, really good at.

    If fitting real-time lessons into your schedule is challenging, perhaps you could start with something like that?

    @kluurs are/were you a member of Tonebase?

    I was listening to a podcast with one of the top personal trainers in the country. It was interesting that when he was asked where he focused with a first time client - and his answer was schedule. That is if a person can't keep a schedule for working out, it would fail. So, that's where he started and focused a lot of his energy. They spoke for almost 3 hours - and consistency came up time and again. At one point, the interviewer asked what was the best time of day to realize the most gains - and the trainer side stepped and said, "whatever time of the day the person can consistently focus their time."

    For me, that's typically late in the day. I went a few years when I don't think I played 10 hours on the piano in the entire year - as work and ancillary activities of life took up all my time.

    Now that I'm retired I can be a bit more consistent. I still have no talent for music - can't sight read, memorize or count effectively, fumble over notes, and terrified of public performance - but I'm still hacking away at the poor piano and enjoying every moment more than ever.

    I joked with Mik a long while back, that if I dedicated myself to playing several hours a day and with proper instruction, I might rise from a bad player to mediocre - but such a lofty goal is unlikely. Doesn't matter - hopefully, in my next life, I jump in line for musical talent as soon as the doors open.


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Yes, I'm a member of Tonebase. I joined when they first started it. They have some wonderful performers in their group. I loved the programs from Seymour Bernstein. I wish he'd done more. Sadly, he passed away recently.


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    After playing with this a bit, I played it that way (bottom 4 notes in LH) because that's how I learned it. After looking at it a bit more and playing it this afternoon, if I were learning it now, I might do what they recommend (C to RH) as that allows one to hold the important A-flat.

    EDIT - watched Hugh Sung's episode 34 where he discusses this. He notes that it is personal preference which way to go. He noted that Jorge Bolet used the "cheat" way (C to the RH) which allows one's rolled chord to retain the low A-flat.


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    After answering I looked at what Bavouzet actually does - and he does it the same (4 bass notes in left hand) - see his video at around 16:34 - though he plays it a bit more straight forwardly than I do. Both Bavouzet and Debussy would probably hate that I introduce a ritard there - but then I'm not playing for a jury.


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    @ShiroKuro said:

    @kluurs in measure 26, for the last rolled chord, are you moving that low C into the right hand, and then having the lowest note be the Gb?

    If I understand you correctly, I play all 4 notes of the bass in the left hand - and the top 3 in the right.


  • Is Clair de Lune too hard for me?
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    You can definitely play it - I'll send you everything you need. DM your email and I'll send you a marked up score - with fingerings and other suggestions.


  • Fare thee well, Dolly
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    She lived it better than almost everyone.


  • Two different versions of Clair de Lune
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    The alleged piano roll recording labeled as being performed by Claude Debussy is not a piano roll recording of Debussy. There are a couple of versions out there pretending to be his performance but are just click bait.


  • The Guitar Story
    K kluurs
    Off Key - General Discussion

    Of all the concerts I've heard, i put my hearing Andre Segovia's as my favorite. I have his signature on some music of Bach. He was amazing. Our audience in Chicago has a bad reputation for being noisy. When Segovia played, there was no sound with the exception of his plucking of the strings. No one breathed, coughed, moved, blinked, etc. Hi playing imprinted on my soul.

  • Login

  • Don't have an account? Register

  • Login or register to search.
  • First post
    Last post
0
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups